Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 goes in between 3rd and 5th gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 goes in between 3rd and 5th gear?

On the way home from work I gave the car a few good rippings and I found every now and then when I go for 3rd it will actually go in between 3rd and 5th. Brand new Pro 5.0 shifter properly adjusted. Clutch gets good air gap (.040"). No other shifts will this happen on, just when going for 3rd. Trans was purchased used online years ago, said rebuilt but then and especially now I do not think so. It will rev like it is neutral when this happens.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Launching!

pretty sure you messed up a syncro, sounds like what happened to me a few years ago, you need to rebuild it as did I. Eventually it might stick in between the gears as that's what ended up happening to me on the freeway at 85 when i was playing in my car, I had to pull my foot of the gas pedal and press it against the center of the dash board and yank as hard as I could on the shifter to get it back to neutral
Old 05-23-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Phynix
pretty sure you messed up a syncro, sounds like what happened to me a few years ago, you need to rebuild it as did I. Eventually it might stick in between the gears as that's what ended up happening to me on the freeway at 85 when i was playing in my car, I had to pull my foot of the gas pedal and press it against the center of the dash board and yank as hard as I could on the shifter to get it back to neutral
i disagree, put the old shifter back on and see if the problem continues, you might just not be adjusted to the pro 5.0 yet
Old 05-23-2010, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phynix
Kinda was thinking it might be that. 3 years ago when I first swapped it in (the trans as I swapped from a 4 speed) on the very first test drive it grinded going into 3rd. Very slow speed and clutch was properly working. After a few more up and downshifts it went away. Figured it was due to the trans sitting dry for unknown time including the 1.5 years it took me to swap it in. Then this year when I brought it out for the first spring drive on the very first time I shifted to 3rd it did it again. I have only put 1000 miles on it since installed and have changed the fluid 3 times so I know it is full and with good fluid. When it does go in between 3 and 5 it is really tight. As soon as I notice it I keep the clutch pushed in and slowly pull it back out of this "in between gate" and slowly put it in 3rd. Only happens on a speed shift at high rpms (6800-7200). Otherwise the trans works flawless. It happens once for every 20 speed shifts.

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
i disagree, put the old shifter back on and see if the problem continues, you might just not be adjusted to the pro 5.0 yet
Never had the original shifter. Trans was swapped in 3 years ago with the Pro 5.0.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

You bent 3-4 Shift fork. Time to pull the tranny.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

A bent fork will do that? But 98% of the time shifts perfect even on a power shift?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

Ok guys a little update. I have not driven the car much in the last few weeks but had it out this weekend. This little problem has become worse. It is more common to shift into this "hidden" gate than not to under any kind of heavy throttle (say WOT and over 3k rpm) and only when going for 3rd. If it s goes into this area I can usually push the clutch in, pull it out and stab it into 3rd but by then the RPM's have dropped substantially. Normal driving it shifts perfectly, no grinds... noise... nothing. 4th is no problem at any rpm so does that rule out a bent shift fork? Am I looking at a bad syncro?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:35 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Can you find the hidden gate with the car off?

If so, you may want to look at the shift guide and it's gate under the panel at the top of the case, ahead of the shifter.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be your shifter cup its underneth the shifter its a little plastic cup that alot of times gets manguled up
Old 06-08-2010, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmd
Can you find the hidden gate with the car off?

If so, you may want to look at the shift guide and it's gate under the panel at the top of the case, ahead of the shifter.
I cannot find this hidden gate with the car off. And I am jamming it from 2 to 3 to see if I can get it to go there. No dice. This is with the clutch depress and also fully released.

Originally Posted by therobman
could be your shifter cup its underneth the shifter its a little plastic cup that alot of times gets manguled up
I remember it looking OK last time I had the shifter off, but not great. I am going to remove the shifter to increase the spring pressure and see if that helps so I may just order a new cup and see if it helps.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres is what mine looked like and everytime i hit 3rd quick it would just rev up got a bonze one for 20 bucks and fixed everything

Old 06-08-2010, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Nice, thanks for the help. I do think I will be ordering one just for sanity sake. How is it held in place when I remove the stocker?

Would love to find out this is just some weak shifter springs and a beat shifter cup. I drove it to work today and the trans works flawless. Not a hint of grind or anything. Didn't go WOT as I was trying to save some fuel but I got on it a couple times with some RPM and she is spot on. And I would rather get these parts in before I try anymore hard shifts. Afraid if it isn't something internal it may become from beating on it with this issue.

It doesn't get stuck out of 3rd like something is blocking in, it just finds some hidden gate. I have yet to find anyone else have this in A LOT of searching over the last few weeks.

I will say the shifter does not return to center like it did when new, seems kinda lazy. And it has only been used for less than 2k miles.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i baught one from tick performance it was 20 bucks the old one will just pull out with your hand and the new bronze one just needs a little tap with a hammer to go in
Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Put a few good WOT runs on it on the way home from work last night. Hit every gear I went for. I even tried mis-shifting to get it to go in the hidden gate, no dice. WTF.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Ok guys I think Phynix hit it with the first reply.... syncro.

I drove it to work a few times last week with zero issues. But it is a 50 mile ride one way and I usually would not bother getting on it till I was near work or near home so the trans was fully up to temp. It sat most of yesterday and I took it to the store (not even 10 miles). Just down the road from home she grinded nicely going into 3rd on a very tame shift as I was just taking off from a red light. After thinking about it any problems I have had with 3rd gear are when the trans is not fully hot like after a long drive. Once hot it works perfect.

Can a syncro stick when cold? What causes one to stick if so?

Just trying to get an idea of what I will have to look for when I rebuild it this coming winter in hopes it stays together for this summer so I can at least drive it.

Time to start ordering parts... bearing kit, snap ring and shim kit, new 3 syncro, etc etc.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

I was having very similar problems. I found that my third gear syncro was wore and I had a busted key in the 3/4 slider assembly. I am in the process of rebuilding mine with a Tick level 2 kit.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Well as weird as it sounds I feel better knowing it is more than likely that. Now to figure out the repair.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:24 PM

I know this is an older thread but did you ever find out what exactly was causing your problem? I’m having a very similar issue with my car currently.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:11 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nodog
I know this is an older thread but did you ever find out what exactly was causing your problem? I’m having a very similar issue with my car currently.
Changing the shifter to a known-good one, and getting a new offset lever plastic (less vibration) bushing with correct adhesive should come before anything internal. The F-body shifter includes springs which center it. Which shifter you have may change what you want to do with it; some can have new springs installed easily.

Quick Reply: T56 goes in between 3rd and 5th gear?