Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

It still whines!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default It still whines!!!

My T56 has rescently developed an annoying whinning noise, sounds like a kenne-bell supercharger, but the noise is really prominent for the first 3 gears and it gets much quieter as it goes higher in gears, but the first 3 gears really annoys the crap out of me. I was told that it could possibly be either the input shaft bearing or the rear main shaft bearing, another person told me that it's the cluster bearings, so, I decided to just buy a bearing kit and went on to changed all the bearings myself. I was really looking forward to finally having a quiet tranny, but after putting it all back together the freaking whine is still there...... What in the world is going on here???!!!
Everything else looks to be just fine in the tranny when I had it apart, what gives??? This is really, really frustrating!!! Thanks in advance for any of your input, guys!
Old 06-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bearings do not whine, they growl. Gears whine. You need a new input shaft and cluster gear.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ This
Old 06-11-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thesource
Bearings do not whine, they growl. Gears whine. You need a new input shaft and cluster gear.
I had a suspicion that it could be one of them, co'z at the same time I do have an issue with my newly installed RXT McCleod clutch, it's dragging a little bit and I could hear a faint whine when I rev the engine while it's in neutral, but the noise goes away if I push the clutch pedal all the way down, which make me think that the input shaft is turning. Would you care to explain why would I have to replace both and not just one or the other? I'm just curious.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

not to hi-jack your thread but I just started experiencing the same problem...so I put the e-break on and secured the car down so it wouldn't move and put it in gear and accelerated...it would whine pretty loud between 1000 and right under 2000 RPM...and at around 2K RPM and over the whine is non-existent. What could possibly be the problem?

Quick Reply: It still whines!!!