Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Another Monster level 3 chatter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Monster level 3 chatter question

I know chatter during break-in is par for the course. Weird thing is when brand new it was silky smooth like stock other than firm clutch pedal (Tick Master) I've got a 150 miles on it and chatters real good. Trying to break in easy feathering like drving a four cylinder econobox. But, once you start to let out and it gets to that point where it's almost "instant in" it's hard to feather and chatters like a car with broken motor and trans mounts.

To me thats the point, it's in or out, but thought it would chatter from day one and smooth as miles were put on, not smooth and then develop chatter.

Am I in that "in between period"? Should I be driving any different? Or does this sound right and just continue to put the miles on just as I'm already doing?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

No that sounds right on. Ive got around 3k on mine know and it barely chatters at all. Dont forget just because they say it can be daily driven doesnt mean its going to drive like a stock clutch. This is a puck style race clutch and it will have that on/off feeling and will not feel like a 4cyl ecnobox. Just continue to drive it and you will be fine. One other thing is that after some mileage you might notice a squeal when you go to take off from a start if you daily drive it alot. Thats normal too, just go out and drop the hammer a couple times and it will go away. These clutches like to be beat on at the track and driving it all the time in stop and go will glaze it a little and cause that squeal. Now go get that thing broken in and drop the hammer. Good luck with it.

Oh BTW Iam in Port St. Lucie. sounds like you got your self a nice ride.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Hey Justin thanks for the reply, I feel better about it knowing what you've said. I wasn't expecting it to act stock at all. I guess with it so smooth for about first 50 miles, I thought it would continue. I also wanted reassurance this was about right and if drivng habits should be changed breaking it in.

I'm stuck with a 3.23 for a while, the swap ate up all my funds. I'm sure a 3.73 would help initial light throttle take off load as well.

Thanks for the positive comment on the car. Just a mild heads and cam SS, and very happy to have M6. The stalled A4 was great at WOT, but a little sluggish aroound town. M6 fixed that real quick. it was 12.00 at 113 without a tune and being auto, AFR has been dialed in since, and now M6 it should be a lot more fun.

I envy you being in Pt St Lucie being close to such a nice track!
Old 06-12-2010, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Good to see its working out for ya. I had my tranny gone through over the winter and then installed a Monster 3 myself and after already having a spec 3 and a LS7 this falls right in between in my opinion. I was thinking about going to a A4 for awhile and now that everything is working good, Iam glad I didnt. Now I just need to take advantage of PBIR and get my *** down there. Yeah a 3.73 gear would help alot. Ive got 4.11s and that helps with slow speed take offs a ton.

You guys ever have anything going on up your way? We have the usuall bs on Fri/Sat nights but would like to meet other people. Ive only been down here for 2yrs now but Ive already met some good guys that have helped me out in a pinch.

Your car looks nice man!! I think Ive seen you up on I95 in the Melbourne area. I work on I95 and see cars all the time.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Hey Justin, haven't signed in in a while. Not much goes on up here anymore since the economy has tanked, just a few lame meets at the local Hooters and a couple other places...if anything big is planned I'll shoot you a message!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Oh and by the way nice times!! I won't be able to make any good times on the 7.5...rearend is the plan for next year
Old 06-17-2010, 04:56 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks, and yeah those times were on the 7.5 rear. Just goes to show you that my car has alot more left in it now that its got a 9 inch in it.

Quick Reply: Another Monster level 3 chatter question