Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch is on the floor, but im not leaking..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Clutch is on the floor, but im not leaking..

Hey everyone..Need your expertise or experience here..please..

Heres the story, Ive had the car for a few years (2nd owner)...about 2 years ago the car went into my local Mobil and i got bent over the work bench for a brake job at $950 and the car was forced to sit at the mechanics until i got the $$$ up to bail out my car..while it sat, it developed an issue where somedays ud come out to the car and the clutch would need to be manually picked up off the floor, and "primed" a few times before you could drive it...it was an intermitant problem and really didnt affect the shifting or driving...

...then a few months later the fuel pump went and it sat again for a few months until i got around to doing the walbro install...again, while it sat, the problem came back...once the fuel pump was in i got maybe 100 miles on it until the clutch pedal failed around the block from my house...

...by "failed" i mean it hit the floor and wouldnt come back up...no amount of priming or pumping revives the pressure...it will sit in the up position but once you hit it, it goes strait to the floor....

with the car off i can shift in and out of gear, but once the car is started (it DOESNT lunge foward like some other threads on here) the gates lock up and im stuck in nuetral...

NOW HERE'S the QUESTION...is this the MASTER (outside the tranny) or the SLAVE (inside the tranny) or something else??? any help is appreciated..ive gone to a few shops and been told its the slave...and then been told its the master..I dont wanna go into this blind and get bent over again...

Cliffnotes: Car sat for a year +/-, Clutch is on the floor, Master Resevior is full and doesnt appear to be priming, dont seem to be leaking fluid from the tranny, car starts and sits in neutral but wont go into any gear.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you taken it apart? i would... i dont think the slave makes the clutch engage, the only thing i can think of is the pressure plate which makes the clutch engage
Old 06-17-2010, 12:50 AM

Manny,
No I havent..to be honest, im a lil intimidated by the job and hung up with all the what-ifs..im great with changing oil and even brakes..but the transmission seems like a 10 on the hard scale...

Im gonna do a walk around inspection vid tomorrow during the day so i can show what im experiencing a little better...

thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

Naw man its not that hard.....Ive never actually done it LOL! but Im doing my clutch this weekend. Read the how tos and read up on the forums, im alot less intimidated now.

I mustve read this 20 times by now:
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ch_install.htm
Old 06-17-2010, 03:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished my clutch. the hardest part for me was getting the exhaust off. The only work on a car before the trans was springs and shocks and a water pump.

Don't get intimidated. Just keep track of the bolts. And the trans isn't very hard at all especially if you're not even doing a clutch.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

its ur master. theres no pressure in the lines to relieve the pressure plate. 20 min job.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ozzman98
its ur master. theres no pressure in the lines to relieve the pressure plate. 20 min job.
Wrong it's the slave. It's stuck. The plastic throw out part is stuck on the aluminum shaft. You need to take your trans off and hope that your slave is ok. More then likely your bearing is bad or the plastic is just stuck ont the hook that's on your slaves shaft.

Last edited by haighter; 06-20-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by haighter
Wrong it's your slave. It's stuck. The plastic throw out part is stuck on the aluminum shaft. You need to take your trans off and hope that your slave is ok. More then likely your bearing is bad or the plastic is just stuck ont the hook that's on your slaves shaft.
Doesnt matter, change em both anyway...(master and slave)

Quick Reply: Clutch is on the floor, but im not leaking..