Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting Problems....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Shifting Problems....

I'm having shifting problems with my T56. I get grinding "some of the time" going into 2nd and 4th when upshifting, but not when downshifting. Once it's in gear there are no issues, it's just upshifting into those gears. Also, when the car is moving it's difficult to downshift into 1st gear, but when the vehicle is stopped there are no issues with it. I can shift into all 7 gears when the car is stopped without any issues if that helps.

What does this sound like? Possible hydraulic issue? Something wrong inside of the transmission (please say no! lol)? Something else?

Thanks a lot for the help. I have 86k on the car, stock clutch, hydraulics, and transmission (as far as I know) with an MGW shifter and about 2k on fresh Mobil 1 ATF. These problems have become apparent within the past few weeks.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if ur fluid level is good then it shouldnt be a hydraulic issues.. an does the car move at all wen u put in into gear wen ur stopped an not pressing the brake? but it does sound like ur syncros are going which means trans has to come out
Old 06-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+2 on worn blocker rings.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, update. Sorry that it took so long....

I checked the hydraulic fluid, and it's filthy. It's black, so I'm going to bleed it out and see if it makes any difference at all....otherwise I know, it does sound a bit more serious than that....

Thanks for the help, will this require a full rebuild or just a few replacement parts?

Quick Reply: Shifting Problems....