Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Syncromesh/Dexron III/ATF

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Syncromesh/Dexron III/ATF

Are they compatible with each other? I have heard of people using GM Synchromesh and they were pleased with the results.

I want to change my tranny fluid and I'm considering using GM Synchromesh. Considering that its a GM product for GM transmissions, wouldn't it be safe to assume that it is safe for the T56?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12345349/
Old 06-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, It is safe.

FYI you can buy Pennzoil (sp) Synchromesh as it is the exact same stuff, just GM labels it for themselves. You can purchase at the majority of auto retailers.

Before the Flame War begins, I use it myself and love it, and drive quite fine in colder weather.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to GM 13$ a quart syncromesh at 155,000 miles...bad idea, synchros went out within 1K miles or so.

Could it be a coincidence? Dumb on my part to switch at that high mileage? Syncromesh to blame? Who knows, I'll stick to plain jane dextron 3. Just my 2 cents, plenty have had good luck with syncromesh, just not myself.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

syncromesh is terrible in the cold
Old 06-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Internet Mechanic

I live in CT and drive the car regularly and I go to work when its -10 to Zero Degrees no issues. As for the 155k T-56, thats a Milage or Driver issue, not Fluid issue.

Some T-56's are notorioiusly notchy and some people can't deal with it. I myself have had Manual cars that had no feel for the shifter. I run a Hurst (Gm Upgraded) stock Throw shifter, on a Bone stock T-56, raced regularly with a textralia oz700 Z Grip on a Tick Perf. Master Cyl and it has positive feedback.

Like I said let the Flame War begin.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the car has close to 150k on it, and I do know the fluid has definitely been changed before, but I don't know when. Cold won't be an issue here in CA because it hardly ever gets below 35 in the coldest part of winter. It sounds to me like it was coincidence that the syncros went out 1k miles after the swap, Chavez. On second thought, I have heard of high mileage transmissions having problems after a fluid change. Those were automatic transmissions though.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i live in ny and when mines cold it will grind as soon as its warm there isisnt a problem u also have a tick master i still got the shitty gm one
Old 06-22-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tired everything , ther somthing a didnt like about them all...

cheap D/M I like the best
Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Location: Just because the voices aren't real, doesn't mean they're not right!

Amazing how so many people second-guess GM or Tremec/Borg-Warner. Dexron III was specified for a reason, be it mineral based OR full synthetic. Use it.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by All-In
Amazing how so many people second-guess GM or Tremec/Borg-Warner. Dexron III was specified for a reason, be it mineral based OR full synthetic. Use it.
Incorrect.

The reason why GM used Dexron III was that it was simply a cost issue. Being able to use the SAME fluid for either Automatics or Manual Transmission is a HUGE cost savings vs having to have two different inventories. Plus the Bulk rate discount is gigantic.

It has nothing really to do with the viscosity or lubration of Dexron, its the lowest costing.

GM Offers Synchromesh @ Dealerships for a reason, to MAKE money.

In the end it is about the fluid you like, whether it be a cost factor, or driveability.

IMO the fluid gets changed every 25-50k or heavy use (road racing, daily driving in city) OR when you break the transmission and rebuild it. So as far as cost, its honestly neglible. The only fluid reputed to not be used was Royal Purple due to I beleive Block Rings Disentigrated.

You will have choices between.

ATF (pick your brand)
Synchromesh
Redline
or whatever you want.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 06-23-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh no not this again.

I'm considering switching to Syncromesh. I have valvoline ATF in right now, and am not very pleased with it. My 93 honda civic with 312,000 miles shifts smoother than my 70,000 mile Camaro, which upsets me. Do i need a tranny rebuild? Possibly but it doesnt grind, its just notchy as hell which causes slow shifts.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by deelong4002
Oh no not this again.

I'm considering switching to Syncromesh. I have valvoline ATF in right now, and am not very pleased with it. My 93 honda civic with 312,000 miles shifts smoother than my 70,000 mile Camaro, which upsets me. Do i need a tranny rebuild? Possibly but it doesnt grind, its just notchy as hell which causes slow shifts.
I hear you on the notchy feeling, seemingly the 10+ M6 cars I have driven, then only one that did not feel like that was a rebuilt one and that one I was there for the rebuild and the kid did not use any spec guages to check for tolerences, I just consider that BS lucky.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Incorrect.

The reason why GM used Dexron III was that it was simply a cost issue. Being able to use the SAME fluid for either Automatics or Manual Transmission is a HUGE cost savings vs having to have two different inventories. Plus the Bulk rate discount is gigantic.

It has nothing really to do with the viscosity or lubration of Dexron, its the lowest costing.

GM Offers Synchromesh @ Dealerships for a reason, to MAKE money.

In the end it is about the fluid you like, whether it be a cost factor, or driveability.

IMO the fluid gets changed every 25-50k or heavy use (road racing, daily driving in city) OR when you break the transmission and rebuild it. So as far as cost, its honestly neglible. The only fluid reputed to not be used was Royal Purple due to I beleive Block Rings Disentigrated.

You will have choices between.

ATF (pick your brand)
Synchromesh
Redline
or whatever you want.
Please tell me how what I said about Tremec/Borg-Warner specing Dexron III is "incorrect". It is NOT "incorrect". They did spec it. If you're saying that they spec'd it strictly for cost reasons and nothing else, that may be debatable, but to say I was "incorrect" is bs.

If your contention that Synchromesh does not provide any material benefit and was used by GM dealers purely as a money-maker, then (assuming that is correct) why use it? Dexron III rated ATF is plentiful, and available from a number of sources, be it mineral or synthetic.

In the end, far too many people get caught up in this topic and usually for no good real reason, especially those guys with street driven/DDs that don't do much research and believe too much internet misinformation.

Btw, Red Line (D4) is ATF, as is Amsoil Torque-Drive.

I too heard the stories re: paper blocking rings in transmissions from the '97, '98, '99 time frame being negatively affected by using Red-Line's product (D4), but a lot of those stories were anecdotal and I, for one, never saw any definitive proof or study indicating this to be true. I, for example, switched to Red-Line D4 in my '99 6-speed and it remained there for several years with no apparent ill effects of any kind. I now use Amsoil Torque-Drive Dexron III rated ATF in my RPM-built trans, but that's just a personal choice I made between the different brands out there.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm gonna do a bit more research before I decide what I put in there. I'm leaning more towards the Syncromesh. Lots of guys use Syncromesh without a problem and most of them say they like it better.

Are there different types of Synchromesh?

Edit: By the way, this is for the t-56 in my TA. Don't be confused by the name.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
........Are there different types of Synchromesh?..............
"Types"? No. "Synchromesh" is a trademarked name. Royal Purple calls their particular version "Synchromax".

Neither one is an ATF.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

Incorrect on the concept that people should use a fluid based on a manufacture's recommondation only. Just because Tremec and BW spec'ed it to be sufficent does not mean there is not better stuff out there.

Do a search as I had posted on this topic before and it became the flame war and I posted quite of few different links to give Validity to using Synchromesh as a Viable source of Lubrication.

When you do find that post you will see why I said it was incorrect. People do not always have to follow Factory recommendations. Great case in point was ALL C5 Corvettes were Filled with Mobile 1 from factory where as the LS1 Fbody got regular Dino Oil. Same motor, different lubrications.

Please tell me how what I said about Tremec/Borg-Warner specing Dexron III is "incorrect". It is NOT "incorrect". They did spec it. If you're saying that they spec'd it strictly for cost reasons and nothing else, that may be debatable, but to say I was "incorrect" is bs.

If your contention that Synchromesh does not provide any material benefit and was used by GM dealers purely as a money-maker, then (assuming that is correct) why use it? Dexron III rated ATF is plentiful, and available from a number of sources, be it mineral or synthetic.

In the end, far too many people get caught up in this topic and usually for no good real reason, especially those guys with street driven/DDs that don't do much research and believe too much internet misinformation.

Btw, Red Line (D4) is ATF, as is Amsoil Torque-Drive.

I too heard the stories re: paper blocking rings in transmissions from the '97, '98, '99 time frame being negatively affected by using Red-Line's product (D4), but a lot of those stories were anecdotal and I, for one, never saw any definitive proof or study indicating this to be true. I, for example, switched to Red-Line D4 in my '99 6-speed and it remained there for several years with no apparent ill effects of any kind. I now use Amsoil Torque-Drive Dexron III rated ATF in my RPM-built trans, but that's just a personal choice I made between the different brands out there.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

I just changed mine with the pennzoil syncromesh, seems like it will do the job well, especially for $7 a qt. at the local auto parts store, compared to GM who I called the other day and they said it was $17 a qt. for theirs, ridiculous
Old 06-24-2010, 06:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

I will say that next time I do a fluid swap I would try out the Friction Modified Stuff and see if there is any difference. I may even do a write up on it.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Incorrect on the concept that people should use a fluid based on a manufacture's recommondation only. Just because Tremec and BW spec'ed it to be sufficent does not mean there is not better stuff out there.
I never said that people should never use anything other than what a manufacturer said. Please don't put words in my mouth. Thanks.

I made a simple statement that Tremec/BW recommends Dex III ATF. I also said (implied) that too many people operate on anecdotal/internet/my-buddy-said information. The upshot being to stop all the worrying about it and just use Dex III. Is that not true? If so, please show me where I'm "incorrect" (as you put it).

Do a search as I had posted on this topic before and it became the flame war and I posted quite of few different links to give Validity to using Synchromesh as a Viable source of Lubrication.
So you have posted on this subject before. OK. Now what? The statement: "Validity to using Synchromesh as a Viable source of Lubrication" means nothing. Maybe it can be used, I'm not saying otherwise, but you have yet to indicate how (or even if) it is superior and give any reason to change over to it in the first place. Change just for the sake of changing? Why?

"Viable"? Does that mean that if Dex III is not available somewhere in the country, then Synchromesh is an acceptable substitute or alternative? Maybe so. No argument, but why worry about it in the first place? For something to be "Viable" just means it will work, it doesn't mean it's better or worse.

When you do find that post you will see why I said it was incorrect. People do not always have to follow Factory recommendations.
Once again. Never said they did. See above.

Great case in point was ALL C5 Corvettes were Filled with Mobile 1 from factory where as the LS1 Fbody got regular Dino Oil. Same motor, different lubrications.
And the M1 is a superior oil to the dino too, so are you saying that Synchromesh is a superior product to DexIII? According to what you said, GM recommended it or pushed (through their dealer network) because it makes a lot of money. Maybe so, maybe not. If that IS true, it certainly doesn't mean it's a better product to use, it just means it makes more/better profit. If it truly IS a better product (empirical info), than I must have missed it somewhere. Btw, do you mean "Mobil 1"?

Too many people lose too much sleep over this subject, and for no good reason really. ESPECIALLY those guys with stock engines or maybe only a few mild mods or guys that have DDs and don't do serious racing. Same is true for spark plug topics and spark plug wire topics. There's even MORE bs out there on those topics than oils.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
By todays standards, probably.

Since I have an A4 car and an M6 car I've learned a few things about Dexron 3.
GM stopped licensing it around 2006.
Every bottle of ATF you see does not say "dexron III" and it does not have GM's specification number on it. GM no longer regulates the additive package of todays ATF labled as DEX/MERC, "for use in DEXRON III applications" etc.

The only GM regulated ATF today is DEXRON VI.
That means it HAS TO have the recommended additive package.

As for the Synchromesh, it's still regulated by GM so, by law, it has to have the required additive package.
Probably? Can you source any reports/studies/white papers on this. It would make for intereting reading for a awful lot of folks if you could.

GM stopped licensing Dex III in 2005/06 but that doesn't change anything as far as suitable fluids to be used in the T56. The term Dexron III was a GM registered trademark, and it was developed using a particular formulation, and like a lot of other products, other manufacturers developed and produced their own ATFs that met the same criteria that GM established for it's branded product. Today, there are still a number of manufacturers that offer products that are recommended or are suitable for GM's "Dexron III" ATF. This is nothing new and has been going on for years and years. Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, Texas/Havoline, Mobil 1, Red Line, Amsoil, Castrol, etc, ALL offer ATFs that meet GM's Dexron III spec. Just like they do for "Type F", which is a Ford spec fluid.

Quick Reply: Syncromesh/Dexron III/ATF