Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best sealant for T56?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best sealant for T56?

I'm wrapping up a rebuild, and was going to use black RTV but the stuff I scraped off was a red glue looking kinda stuff.

Suggestions on what to use? This would obviously be the bellhousing to case, and case to tailshaft sections.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:44 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ultra RTV. I use black or copper.

I rebuilt one years ago that had some red stuff that looked and had the consistency of red strawberry jelly. I wanted to stab someone.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

x2 Ultra Black

I've seen alot with the Grey RTV fail, and 1 with Right Stuff that I had to practically tear up the case parts separating them. (Good for the seal, not so good for the next rebuilder... LOL)
Old 06-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

I use ultra black sealant as well and it works great. That red stuff is commonly used on new Tremec TKO series 5 speeds. I forget what its called but its kind of messy to clean off when doing rebuilds.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:04 PM

Alright, thanks guys!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Launching!

+4 for black rtv
Old 06-22-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

+5 RTV black I had a few rebuilds I bought with the messy red stuff.... messy for sure and one leaked.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any rebuild that I have been a part of has been RTV Black.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:26 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by thesource
I use ultra black sealant as well and it works great. That red stuff is commonly used on new Tremec TKO series 5 speeds. I forget what its called but its kind of messy to clean off when doing rebuilds.
Thats anaerobic sealant, which I hate as well. I use ultra black, ultra blue, and sometimes high temp red. Never use ultra gray, as you will just about have to break the case to get it back apart.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:29 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I use the ultra blue for differentials. It seals well but comes apart if you need it too. The blacks ok but a bit tighter of a bond. I like to clean clean CLEAN the stuff i work on though. Spotless brake clean metal to metal then the blue is ****
Old 06-24-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

the colors are ment for different type of chemicals. like the ultra black for sealing stuff with petroleum products, i thought blue was for water pumps etc.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:26 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
the colors are ment for different type of chemicals. like the ultra black for sealing stuff with petroleum products, i thought blue was for water pumps etc.
I've heard a few different stories as to what/why the colours are. This was a cut and paste off their site a few years ago posted on a Buick MB that I go to

Permatex® High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket

OEM specified. Formulated for hi-temp applications, or heavy-duty use (such as towing, etc.). Replaces almost any cut gasket by making reliable “formed-in-place” gaskets that resist cracking, shrinking and migrating caused by thermal cycling. Coats pre-cut gaskets to increase reliability. Temperature range -65ºF to 650ºF (-54°C to 343°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids. First generation 1970-1980 gasket maker.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings, transmission pans

Permatex® Sensor-Safe Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

The original Permatex Blue. Will not foul oxygen sensors. Replaces almost any cut gasket. Makes reliable “formed-in-place” gaskets that resist cracking, shrinking and migrating. Coats pre-cut gaskets to increase reliability. Temperature range -65°F to 500°F (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids. First generation 1970-1980 gasket maker.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings, transmission pans

Permatex® Sensor-Safe High-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket

Formulated for oxygen sensor equipped engines. First generation 1970-1980 gasket maker. Temperature range of -65°F to 650°F (-54°C to 343°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings, transmission pan

Permatex® the Right Stuff® Gasket Maker

Return equipment to service immediately when you make leak-proof gaskets in just one minute with the Right Stuff.® This latest elastomeric rubber gasket technology is blowout resistant and outperforms pre-cut gaskets. Specified on production lines by GM, Ford, DaimlerChrysler and Mercedes-Benz. Temperature range -75°F to 450°F (-59°C to 232°C) continuous, 500°F (260°C) intermittent.; resists ATF, coolant, oil and other shop fluids. Protects against leaks caused by vibration and thermal expansion. Sensor-safe.

Suggested Applications: Automotive and marine gaskets, valve covers, gearbox covers, pumps, compressors, oil pans, thermostat housings, water pumps

Permatex® Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

OEM specified. For dealership warranty requirements, ensures extended drivetrain warranty compliance. Fast-curing formula. Sensor safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Meets performance specs of OE silicone gaskets. Retains high flexibility, oil resistance properties through use of a patented adhesion system. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, transmission pans

Permatex® Ultra Blue® Multipurpose RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

OEM specified. Permatex® Ultra silicones were developed to meet today’s technology changes. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Outstanding oil resistance and joint movement values. Eight times more flexible than cork/composite gaskets; three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, transmission pans, differential covers

Permatex® Ultra Copper® Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

OEM specified. Highest operating temperatures for 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines. The most advanced, high temp RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -75°F to 700°F (-59°C to 371°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Exhaust manifolds/ headers, valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings

Permatex® Ultra Grey® Rigid High-Torque RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

OEM specified. Designed specially for high-torque and high vibration applications, like those common in import engines, this premium RTV gasket maker exceeds manufacturers' performance requirements. Noncorrosive and low-odor. Maximum vibration resistance, with outstanding resistance to oils, cooling and shop fluids. Guaranteed not to leak. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings

Permatex® Water Pump & Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket

A noncorrosive, sensor-safe RTV silicone gasket material formulated specifically for water pumps and thermostat housings. Highest water-glycol resistance available in an RTV silicone. Temperature range of -65°F to 500°F (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used Permatex Ultra-Black on my rebuild.

Best choice for sealing up the T56, and thats what they use from the factory.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:12 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
I used Permatex Ultra-Black on my rebuild.

Best choice for sealing up the T56, and thats what they use from the factory.
The black does bond tighter thats for sure. I suppose it makes sense for a trans build its not like they come apart all that often ( one hopes not at least LOL )
Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Banned

As I'm partial to GM, I use gray GM silicone. Never had one come back for leaks. Knock on wood.........

Quick Reply: Best sealant for T56?