Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How do I remove the factory shift knob?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do I remove the factory shift ****?

I thought for sure I could just turn the thing! But thats apperently not so, I broke my factory stick trying to turn the thing. Well I bought new stick but I want the factory **** because ALL aftermarket ones suck pure **** covered donkey *** (I honestly dont know how its legal to sell them. Ive never, never had an aftermarket one work! How in the **** are they in business?). I literally stripped out the new one before ever even shifting to a gear... Ive tried two ppl, one holding the stick and one turning the **** to no avail. So how did you guys get the factory **** off?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Every manual shifter that I have EVER seen, the **** screws on, I believe the pitch on ours is like a 16mmx1.5 or such. If we are talking about a manual shifter the **** screws on. Maybe someone used loctite or some kind of retaining compound, and that would make things extremely difficult or maybe impossible witout the use of heat.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

hold the stick with some channel locks and get someone else to grip the stock **** and just pull in the opposite directions, just be careful because you might fall when that thing finally breaks. Mine looked to have some kind of sealant like mentioned above and was quite difficult to get off.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RARON445 is correct, the **** screws on and from the factory they use locktite to keep the **** secured. You may try to heat the stick just below the **** with a heat gun and hope the heat migrates up to the treads, if there is that much locktite then you will probably have to use heat to help break it loose. My6speedZ suggestion won't work, trying to pull a threaded **** off would be rather impossible. my $0.02.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Raron- Thats what I though until my brother bought me a el cheapo walmart shifter **** for xmas and it slides on and has 3 screws the grab onto the stick and a aluminum collar screws on around them to hide the set screws. Wish I wouldn't of gave my brother the stocker for his rat rod, this one is a POS!

OP- it will come off, takes some muscle. I had to use channel locks on the stick and turn it and the know opposite ways from each other to get it broken loose, its a b!tch but it'll come off.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Red-98TA
RARON445 is correct, the **** screws on and from the factory they use locktite to keep the **** secured. You may try to heat the stick just below the **** with a heat gun and hope the heat migrates up to the treads, if there is that much locktite then you will probably have to use heat to help break it loose. My6speedZ suggestion won't work, trying to pull a threaded **** off would be rather impossible. my $0.02.
Nah man just use the channel locks so the shaft wont rotate, allowing you to put more force on the actual ****. I didn't mean trying to rip the **** off
Old 06-26-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the factory **** twists off. It doesn't come off easily though. When I finally pulled mine off I thought I stripped my shifter because the stick moved side to side. I ended up having to take the boot off and tighten the bolts that connect the stick to the top of the tranny because they came loose.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Use a vise to hold the shaft.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Am I crazy? Mine was a littlerough to get off but I was able to use just my hand. Just unscrew it if you can.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Nah man just use the channel locks so the shaft wont rotate, allowing you to put more force on the actual ****. I didn't mean trying to rip the **** off
Sorry I assumed that's what you meant when you said "pull in opposite directions". Not trying to argue semantics with you but I guess I would have said 'twist' in opposite directions.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

i put my stick in a vice and wrapped my **** with a rag and used big channel locks! it didn't hurt my **** and broke lose.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:56 AM
Staging Lane

I just bought a short shift stick for my 2000 3.8 firebird 5-speed, like I did for my 01 Ws6, but apparently the shift stick is completely different, I don't remember having this much trouble. I can't get the **** off and the stick just turns with the **** (is that bad?)- plus there's this rubber boot that was under the leather boot and it's screwed down. I'm starting to think this short shift stick may not actually be compatible?!?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 5 speed is different. Unbolt the rubber boot from the floorpan and the shifter rod just pops right off.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spartan7
The 5 speed is different. Unbolt the rubber boot from the floorpan and the shifter rod just pops right off.
Thanks for responding. I guess I'll just leave the shift stick alone. Is there a short shift stick that would fit my 5-speed firebird? eBay link?

I miss my WS6 As for the short shift stick that I bought, I'll have to find a trans am owner to take it off my hands.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the factory shift knob?