Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just finished M6 swap (shifting problmes)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Just finished M6 swap (shifting problmes)

I just did the full M6 swap with my friend who got me full A4 stuff (wiring harness and all) and now I have an intermittent problem.

Sometimes after backing up the only gears I can put the car in is 1, 4, 6, and reverse. I have to back it up again (sometime more than once) to get it to stop. I've tried unpluging the two sensors/solenoids on the drivers side of the trans and nothing changes. What did we do wrong, and has anyone else had this problem?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That can really only be 3 possible problems:

Clutch not disengaging fully. Check slave to pressure plate clearance (with aftermarket clutches only). Check master and slave for leaks, bleed system.

Shifter is damaged or not properly installed. Check plastic shifter cup, shift rail, roll pin on shift rail, shifter bolts. Check shifter assembly for damage and/or excessive wear.

Internal transmission problem. Worst case scenerio. You would need to take the trans apart to find out whats wrong. If it shifts fine when the engine is turned off, its probably not an internal issue.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't believe this crap... The reverse lockout solenoid and the skip shift solenoid have the EXACT SAME PLUG!!

I laid them out where the harness would normally fit and the were completely backwards. The one for the reverse solenoid is a little tight and the skip shift one has a ton of slack.