Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 acting up

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 acting up

Hey guys I'm a little new to the boards but I do I have mechanic experience. I picked up a 1999 camaro z28 M6 two weekends ago. Its a highmilage car w/ 185k clutch was said to be replaced at 100k along with rebuilt motor (according to previous owner). When I bought the car there was no second gear, you could push the clutch in and push it in 2nd but it would just free rev. The only thing that confused me is it would not go into 2nd gear unless you had the clutch depressed. Does any one have an Idea what that could be. And also last night I was driving it went through 1,3,4,5,6 fine but when I tried to downshift from 6th to fifth it would basically ( lock me out). But if i down shifted to forth gear and upshifted to fifth it would work fine. No earlier in the day it was able to downshift into fifth but it just started last night. That one I can't seem to figure out either. Granted I understand the transmission should be rebuilt but I was just wondering if any one knew the the causes. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2nd gear = Known weakness in early T56s where the synchro engagement teeth would strip off of the 2nd gear. Replacement/later-model gears have stronger teeth.

5th gear downshift = Also a common problem because of the placement of the 5-6 gears on an extension shaft. 5th gear synchros wear rapidly and any wear in the extension shaft can compound the downshifting blockout. A new full set of blocker rings and performance shimming of the shafts will get you back rowing the gears..

Quick Reply: T56 acting up