Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission Input Shaft question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Transmission Input Shaft question

I removed transmission today....noticed input shaft spins true no wobble but it does have some wiggle side to side, up and down, plus it moves in and out about 1/8 in all directions......IS THIS NORMAL? Any advice will be appreciated thanks!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

correction input shaft does not move in or out just side to side and up and down about 1/8 inch.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is normal for the input shafts in these transmissions to have some play side to side, but not any endplay.

The reason for this is that they use a pilot bearing to support the input shaft. The tip of the input shaft fits into the back of the crankshaft and maintains the alignment of the shaft.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

does the movement up and down on the input shaft mean that my trans. needs a rebuild?
Old 07-05-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by perezpowerbuilders
does the movement up and down on the input shaft mean that my trans. needs a rebuild?
Its hard to say without actually seeing it, but some movement up and down is completely normal. I'm sure there is a spec for it per Tremec. If there is too much play, thats a sign that the input shaft bearing is worn.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input.....I had a friend come over and look at the endplay on the input shaft...he was a Navy mechanic for twenty plus yrs....he told me it was normal based on the number of miles logged on the tranny. Whew..dodged a bullet for now...wish I had more time and a lot more money...I would go ahead and rebuild it now while its off!

Quick Reply: Transmission Input Shaft question