Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help! T56 wen't "boom"

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! T56 wen't "boom"

So recently i've been having problems with my T56 leaking out of the rear (tailshaft) seal. I refilled it back to level and it seemed to be driving normal for the last week or so.

Well today i'm out cruising along probably going about 50mph or so when all of the sudden I hear "BOOM"!!! Then my trans popped out of 6th gear into the neutral position and all power to the rear-wheels was lost. I've had a T56 blow up on me before but it gave a completely different symptoms like "grinding when trying to go into gear" and not letting me get into gear at all. The thing is this tranny will still go into each gear just fine, it just won't deliver power to the wheels. It's like something popped out of place. Also when I pulled over I noticed all the tranny fluid leaked out underneath in the same spot. What could this be guys? TIA
Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Will the car still roll in every gear? Sounds like your output shaft may have snapped..

Otherwise, can you put the trans in gear with the engine running? That may point to an input shaft gear shearing or clutch issues.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Will the car still roll in every gear? Sounds like your output shaft may have snapped..

Otherwise, can you put the trans in gear with the engine running? That may point to an input shaft gear shearing or clutch issues.
I can put the trans in gear with the car running. Soon as I try to roll off the clutch like a normal take off it acts like it want's to die until i press the clutch back in and then it idles normally.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you stripped all the splines off the output shaft. 50mph is too low to be using 6th gear. When I had my 90k mile t56 torn apart, it had wore halfway through the splines from lots of 55mph driving in 6th.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Teching In

I see how that could be the reason, but something tells me that this is probably connected to the leak and driving it with low fluid.

Question, if it does turn out to be the output shaft can I tear the trans down and just replace that part by itself in the event everything else is still in good condition?
Old 07-10-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I missed the part about it dieing when you try to drive it. Sounds like you toasted an output bearing then.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Teching In

So in that case would the trans still have to come apart to fix?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so 55 mph is bad for 6th gear ? I never heard that before.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Banned

Try putting the transmission into 4th gear and see what it does.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Teching In

**UPDATE**

So today I wen't to have my car towed from my buddies house to mine until I get the funds together to fix the problem. I assumed it was a transmission issue but today something wierd happened. While trying to back the car off the flat bed, the car would not move! It completely locked up on us. So the tow guy asked if the car drives forward at all and I said no because the when the car broke down it would not move forward in any of the gears. Well to my suprise the guy hops in, puts it into 1st gear and the car drives forward normally. He then did the samething with 2nd gear and same result, worked perfectly fine. But then when he tried to let the car roll back off the bed it locked up again. So then I give it a try. I put the car in reverse and you can feel the car trying to reverse (in otherwords power is going through the transmission) but something was locked up and wouldn't let the tires turn. Finally with enough forward and backward motion I heard a "snap" sound coming from the REAR of the car and finally it rolled off the bed. Then while trying to move the car up in my drive way the car would move fine but would make a loud "snap" sound like about every couple rotations of the tire or so.

The trans seems to be fine. So now i'm thinking rear-end? The guy said he's almost positive it's locking up but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys of what exactly could this be. TIA
Old 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Takes only a few minutes to pop the rear cover and see whats going on back there. Sounds like your rear took a dump on you from what you are describing now though.

Ive also never heard that 55 was too slow for 6th gear. Thats like normal avg highway speeds isnt it? I know lugging is bad, but cruising at 55 in 6th isnt really lugging. Maybe my 3.73s make it better?

Good luck figuring her out man! Time to dig in and see whats busted...

J.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea I would pop the cover and at lease stick on finger on the fill hole to see if u have any oil in their. I cruising 50 mph in 6 gear .

Quick Reply: Help! T56 wen't "boom"