Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Drive Shaft Will Not Go IN

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Drive Shaft Will Not Go IN

Hey everyone this is my first post here. I have a t56 from a 2005 GTO. I tried to test fit the yoke today and it would not go in past the bushing. I looked at the tail shaft and it is not centered in the housing. I have read many posts about a tail shaft that was not centered but their tail shaft would move around and was somewhat free. Mine is not it is tight and will not move side to side at all. What could cause this to be off center? Visually the tail shaft housing looks to be in good condition and i would think being cast aluminum that it would break before bending..
Old 07-21-2010, 11:54 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

who reassembled the trans. last?

If the slip yoke slides into the ~35mm depth of the bushing without issue but doesn't go further, you can assume it's the assembled trans. as the problem and you'll need to pull it apart to see what is offsetting the mainshaft.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the reply. As far as I can tell it has never been taken apart. When I pulled the seal and slide the yolk on the shaft it goes in until the end of the yolk hits the edge of the bushings then stops. What could be causing it to be off center internally? What part of the trans. Lines up the shaft?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are alignment dowels in the maincase that align the tailhousing. I've seen them bent before when improper rebuilds are done, but it's not common and the case will usually crack when trying to assemble.

Can someone rotate the trans from the input, while someone is watching the output shaft? It sounds like the mainshaft is bent from a hard launch..
Old 07-23-2010, 11:28 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Sorry; I thought it was going into the bushing.

You can get a Timken 5200(I think) which is a new bushing and seal. If the bushing goes in but squeezes into the oil grooves of the tailhousing, you may need to get a shoppe w/ the right tool to do it.

Speaking of alignment dowels Mike, are those a Tremec parts dealer item? :think:
Old 07-23-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmd
Speaking of alignment dowels Mike, are those a Tremec parts dealer item? :think:
There are Tremec part numbers for them (141199) but I'm not sure if they're available? They look like standard dowels, but I've never measured one, just pulled them out of broken cases to reuse.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Teching In

I turned the input shaft with the tranny in 6th gear and watched the output shaft. The shaft is offset closest to the passenger side of the car and doesn't "wobble" it stays to that side as it turns.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like the tailhousing or the bushing is offset/cracked. Sounds like you need to pull the tailhousing to get to the bottom of this..

(BTW, why did you put the trans in 6th? It's much harder to turn the input in 6th than it would be in 1st)
Old 07-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Im an idiot. I was thinking about it backwards in my head. i had it in 1st because it was easy to turn. I removed the housing and everything internal looks good bearings and the housing all look good no signs of anything bent or broke. I contacted the guy i got the trans from and he said the trans cam out of a car that was wrecked. I noticed the torque arm bracket and the trans mount was bent toward the drive side. Is it possible that the extensions housing will bend? it doesn't look bent but looks can be deceiving.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:49 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Now, does the slip yoke go into the tailhousing bushing?
Does the slip yoke go onto the output shaft without problems?

Torque arm bracket? Was the trans. last in an F-body?
Originally Posted by Tyler_basham
The shaft is offset closest to the passenger side of the car and doesn't "wobble" it stays to that side as it turns.
the torque arm bracket and the trans mount was bent toward the drive side.
Pics x 2?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Teching In

The Slip Yoke does not go into the bushing it stops at the edge of the bushing when the end of the yoke hits it. If i remove the tailshaft housing the yoke slides into the bushing easy.
Yes it slides onto the output shaft easily and smooth.
I am at work right now but when i get home i will post a couple shots of the shaft and the mounts
Old 07-26-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you think the bushing might have been replaced?

They're suppossed to be installed, and then honed to a final diameter before reinstalling the tailshaft on the transmission.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Teching In

I dont believe the bushing has been replaced but i haven't had the transmission its whole life either. It doesn't look like a new one so I'm not sure. Here are some pics of the off center shaft. I think I'm going to order an extension housing and just see if this takes care of it.
Attached Thumbnails T56 Drive Shaft Will Not Go IN-transmission-001.jpg   T56 Drive Shaft Will Not Go IN-transmission-002.jpg  
Old 08-01-2010, 10:55 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

I turned the input shaft with the tranny in 6th gear and watched the output shaft. The shaft is offset closest to the passenger side of the car and doesn't "wobble" it stays to that side as it turns.
I dont believe the bushing has been replaced but i haven't had the transmission its whole life either. It doesn't look like a new one so I'm not sure. Here are some pics of the off center shaft. I think I'm going to order an extension housing and just see if this takes care of it.
You're on the right track.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Thank you everyone for your help. I ordered a tail shaft housing last week and installed it yesterday. Yoke went in no problem smooth as silk. I would suggest that if anyone needs parts for a t56 tick performance should be there first stop these guys were very helpful.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Way to get it done.

Quick Reply: T56 Drive Shaft Will Not Go IN