Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Looking at used T56 tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at used T56 tips

To make a long story short my friend is looking at a used T56 for his 6.0 S13 project. The guy "says" it was fine when it was pulled out the car(F-Body) but it's been sitting for several years now. Any way to know if it's any good without actually buying it and putting it in a car?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought mine I just made sure it went into all gears, felt that the input shaft didn't have excessive play, made sure it spun freely in each gear and the output spun with it, etc.

I learned my lesson though. I bought it as a trans that just "popped out of 2nd" thinking it'd be a cheap fix. When I tore it open found out that 2nd gear was shot, the 1-2 synchro was bad, fork pads were all cracked, needed new blocker rings, a bearing exploded so I had to replace all of them, slider keys, etc. It was a mess. On the bench though it felt normally, every gear went in and out no problem, etc.

It's a gamble
Old 07-24-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

^^^

...and most stick cars are not driven by....well your grand mother so it is a crap shoot on used out of car trannys.

If it is $500-$700 than a complete rebuild which can run $1200+ will come close to what a new one costs (94-97 years)

some have had + results...and others -