Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ANyone else have a MGW SHort Shifter???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ANyone else have a MGW SHort Shifter???

Just looking for some input, review or tips on install and the whole deal. Mine came in the mail yesterday I'm happy as ever but haven't had the time to put it in yet. I didnt see any instructions in the box when I peeked inside and was wondering if anyone had tips or feelings on the shifter or install.

is there a sticky link anywhere on how to install a short shifter? I don't have a book but it would be good to know where all the screws are that hold the centre console in place.

thanks !
Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not too hard. I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff and I did it in like an hour and a half. You need to remove the whole center piece. Two screws in the back cup holders, two screws on the front sides, one or two in the ashtray thing, and a few in the center console. Then disconnect the wires for the 12 v ports, the center most one can be a pain in the *** to access. You'll have to maneuver it around the e-brake to get it off, also unscrew the shift **** obviously. Remove the bolts holding down the shift boot. Then there are four bolts holding down the shifter assembly at the corners. Last thing is to pry off the plate the holds it to the transmission, it can be stuck on there pretty hard because it's sealed so don't be scared to break anything. It just pops out and then you put the MGW in and reverse the steps.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The center console can stay in just unscrew your **** and remove the upper console which is held in by two 10mm bolts under the coin holder then remove the upper M6 part of the console, next remove the lower boot like 8 6or 7mm screws and then start your shifter install
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...y-shifter.html

I loved that shifter. If its not on my next car, its getting added immediately.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips guys ! Definitely is a big help. I will get some time tomorrow after work for sure or saturday ill take pics of all the steps for fun and post em.

So funny thanks for that link I was just reading every single post in that thread lol... cant believe I didnt even see it earlier !!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, it was kind of buried in here.