Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ls7 clutch and tick master?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ls7 clutch and tick master?

Time to get a new clutch since I have a leak somewhere and figured I might as well get an LS7 and tick master. My car only has 50k miles, would I be okay with a diamond stage 1 clutch and use my stock flywheel? Or should I just go with the ls7 kit? Car will get a cam and heads this summer, but it's a C5 FRC so it's a light car.

*Edit* https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=506&jpid=4 this is the kit I'm looking at.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I think you'll find the ls7 clutch feels heavy. I would do the diamond or a monster stage1. Also the lack of adjustable pressure plate on either choice will give you more consistent clutch engagement. You'll really like the tick master
Old 03-20-2015, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a tick master and monster stage 2 in my last car, it was okay. I know this time I'm adding a speed bleeder to get air out of the system no matter what since I had problems with that.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:04 PM

Definitely. Speed bleeder rocks. There's a sticky on bleeding it right. I'm sure you've alreadt read it. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an LS7 and tick master. I found that it drives like stock while being able to hold some decent power. not sure what darth meant by it being heavy, i guess ive just always had it so i dont know any different.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I like my monster a lot, although my car is a lot heavier...I'd call a vendor on here and see what their opinion is for your power goals and such. Do the C5's have the same MC problems our F-bodies do?
Old 03-23-2015, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Throw the ls7 idea out the window for just a little more money you get a much better clutch. Diamond is a good option Jason knows his stuff and is a real nice guy to talk with, that and their chromoly flywheel will weigh a little less than stock and make the car more responsive
Old 03-23-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2000WS6TA
i have an LS7 and tick master. I found that it drives like stock while being able to hold some decent power. not sure what darth meant by it being heavy, i guess ive just always had it so i dont know any different.
I drove a friend's when I chose to go monster. My throttle response felt better than his did. Also, when pushinc int he clutch, his took longer to slow back down than mine did. "heavy" is the best way I can describe it.

I went with monster for the lighter rotational weight.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Exactly the less rotational weight the better if the op wanted to spend a little more money my clutch setup and weight is in my sig. Stock is around 52lbs monster is usually 56 or 46 with a light flywheel. ls7 is pushing 60
Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I gotta call up TDP and get some pricing. Stage 1 with a stock flywheel and tick master should be okay. I've got about 50k miles on my car now, can it still be resurfaced? I was looking into the LS7 because of the longevity and it's a pure DD rain or shine in Houston traffic.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Figured I'd update this, more than likely going with stage one monster with the light flywheel. Probably gonna order the slave from rockauto, anyone know which one to pick up? Tick master is going on order as well.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whatsa347
Figured I'd update this, more than likely going with stage one monster with the light flywheel. Probably gonna order the slave from rockauto, anyone know which one to pick up? Tick master is going on order as well.
Just get a GM slave.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Just get a GM slave.
There's like 12. I'll pick up the luk one probably.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would really avoid getting one of the slaves from Rock Auto. Maybe Steve from Monster could chime in here but from when I spoke with him the GM slave is made by AP and if you get the Monster kit, the Monster slave is a direct comparison of the GM/AP Slave unit. (Only $70 more for a "Premium" Monster kit right?)

There are several guys here who have picked up Auto Part Store Slaves and many have regretted it. Especially if its one of the cheaper black slaves, which have a high failure rate.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:33 AM
Launching!

Don't get the slave from rockauto, I did and didn't pay attention and got one I cant use. Autozone has it for like 70 bucks and oh I have the monster lvl 2 with 18lb flywheel and tick mc right now and its slipping bad. If you DD in traffic a lot then don't expect it to last too long. Mine sure didn't.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Don't get me wrong the monster drove fine and held the power I have no problem but it just didn't last nearly as long as I expected. I assume daily driving in traffic so much killed it.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SIC GTO
Don't get me wrong the monster drove fine and held the power I have no problem but it just didn't last nearly as long as I expected. I assume daily driving in traffic so much killed it.
I would think the LS7 would hold up to my 3100 pound car, even with the heads/cam combo but apparently it doesn't? It holds up to full exhaust c6z's on the street just fine, and my car would never see the track ever in its life with me, just some roll racing here and there.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think the LS7 would hold up to my 3100 pound car, even with the heads/cam combo but apparently it doesn't? It holds up to full exhaust c6z's on the street just fine, and my car would never see the track ever in its life with me, just some roll racing here and there.
the ls7 will hold up just fine the problem with it is the weight (much heavier than stock) and the self adjusting pressure plate both contribute to blocking you out of making shifts at WOT above 5000 rpm at least on stock hydraulics , mine is better if I change fluid weekly but still has issues , some say a tick mc fixes this issue I haven't been able to do that yet.

The c6z example you gave has better stock hydraulics to deal with that beast of a clutch than f bodies do.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by murphinator
the ls7 will hold up just fine the problem with it is the weight (much heavier than stock) and the self adjusting pressure plate both contribute to blocking you out of making shifts at WOT above 5000 rpm at least on stock hydraulics , mine is better if I change fluid weekly but still has issues , some say a tick mc fixes this issue I haven't been able to do that yet.

The c6z example you gave has better stock hydraulics to deal with that beast of a clutch than f bodies do.
You have an LS7 setup? I feel like the tick master is the first thing that needs to be done if you have a manual GM car, mine was night and day difference last time I installed it with my monster.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by murphinator

Well I have a Tick mc so hopefully the LS7 isn't too bad in my heavy GTO. I know other GTO's running it at the track with no problem so I think it'll be fine for mostly street use.

Quick Reply: ls7 clutch and tick master?