Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Throwout bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throwout bearing

Holy ****, I just priced a new one for my '96 T/A. Let me add that I've never replaced one on an F body before. WTF, are these thing gold plated, carbon fiber or some such? $162 at O'Reilly and $180 at AZ. GAAAAA! I just want a throwout bearing, not a new ******* car!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Most new clutches for the LT1 come with them already attached
Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Wasn't aware of that, but...that's really amazing when you consider that OEM equivalent clutches are just a shade over $200.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Might as well just buy a new clutch for bit more.. probably price it like that on purpose so more people buy the clutch instead of just the piece they need.

Have you searched the classifieds? Might get lucky on one for sale.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

You may well be right....but Jesus, are they proud of that bearing! The last T/O bearing I bought (granted, about 30 years ago) was something like $20, and you just knocked the old one off of the collar and pressed the new one on.

I just ordered this, http://www.competitionclutch.com/sto...hp?vinvid=6858, but it doesn't say if it comes with the bearing or not.
I'll post a full report once I get it put in. Car is bone stock except for a Borla exhaust, which sounds REALLY nice. I haven't seen many posts for this company's clutches here yet. One of my main criteria was NO CHATTER after I put it in, and their email assured me that as long as I surfaced the flywheel (no ****, Sherlock) there wouldn't be any. I want a completely domestic clutch, with superb street manners as the wife drives it, too. Chalk it up to old age, but things I would have put up with when I was 25 I damn sure won't put up with in a DD now that I'm 55!
Old 08-28-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

for a stock car/motor a organic material disc like found on any replacement auto part store clutch would be fine. clutches with more aggressive friction materials (kevlar, ceramic, etc) will often result in chatter but perform better under aggressive/race conditions.

every LT1 "clutch kit" I have bought comes with a new TO & pilot bearing and alignment tool (except ClutchNet which only included TO bearing),

Quick Reply: Throwout bearing