Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Not going into ANY gear smoothly, Tick MC

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Not going into ANY gear smoothly, Tick MC

We did a 6 speed swap on the car, and I used a brand new LS7 Clutch, and ordered a Tick Master and new slave at the same time. The trans I bought used from a local buddy..its supposed to be a built t56 with low mileage on it, but some track use. When we installed the Tick MC, the clutch pedal was about a 1/4" past the brake pedal, which from what I have read on here is where most of the guys end up adjusting theirs. So we left it there. Trans shifted fine for the first couple of days.
Took the car to the local LS1 shop to get it dyno tuned. I get it back, and first 2 days it shifts like normal. At this point I have put maybe 100 miles total on the Tick MC, new clutch, and new slave. So on the third day I notice its not going into gear as smoothly. Its not grinding, but its not going in like it should. Fourth day, it starts getting a little more obvious that it doesn't want to go in gear smoothly. It happens in all the gears. The first few days it was going in like butter.
I thought it had something to do with us not setting the Tick Master at the shortest rod length, and adjusting from there. So today I adjusted the rod to make the pedal a little shorter. Now its about a quarter inch before the brake pedal, but it still does the same thing. Fluid level is were it should be. What do you guys think is going bad? Anything I could do to try to diagnose it without pulling the trans out? Not sure if it matters, but I am using a Hurst shifter.
The car its in only has 401rwhp..

Last edited by Jimmy P; 09-03-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you adjusted it shorter? Try the other way. Sounds like it came out of adjustment in first place. Also recheck all bolts to transmission. Since you just installed it. Seen that happen before with bolts backing out
Old 09-04-2010, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will try adjusting it longer, but I am not sure thats it. It seems as if it felt too "jumpy" at the first setting we had the rod at. Now that its shorter, it doesn't seem to be as violent.
Thats a good point on the trans bolts. I will check them out when I get off work and see if any are loose.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you definitely need to go back and readjust the kit via our instructions.

If your problems persist, contact our techs: http://www.tick-performance.com/tech/
Old 09-09-2010, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joey@TickPerf
Sounds like you definitely need to go back and readjust the kit via our instructions.

If your problems persist, contact our techs: http://www.tick-performance.com/tech/
Sorry, but i have to agree with this. The instructions for adjusting the tick cmc are VERY specific in how to/not how to install and adjust... "setting" it to where the pedal was before or to what others seem to "set" their is far from being the correct way to installing and adjusting the cmc.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Teching In

if i remember right the hurst has a lil smaller ball that goes into the transmission and if its not lined up right it can cause it to be hard to get into gear at times ... ive had to play with my hurst to get it to shift smoother
Old 09-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Teching In

or the bolts monting the shifter to the trans are loose or came loose

Quick Reply: Not going into ANY gear smoothly, Tick MC