Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installed replacement T56 and SPEC Stage 4 clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Installed replacement T56 and SPEC Stage 4 clutch...

Got a steal on this used T56 from fellow member Jason Short for $700.

Then bought a new SPEC Stage 4 clutch kit. Nice! It even comes with a new pilot bearing/bushing.

Notice the "FW Side" decal on this side? I'm drawing attention to this so those that told me the wrong way can see they were wrong. What's pitiful is I asked two different boards about which way to install my prior solid hub clutch (Clutchnet didn't/doesn't mark them) and one got ZERO responses and the other only two guys responded. The first said to install it with the flat side (the opposite of what you see here) towards the flywheel. The 2nd guy concurred with the first guy. I thanked them at the time and installed it the way they said. Well, a ruined SPEC Stage four pressure plate, a ruined brand new Clutch disc and a ruined T56 later, I found out they had no idea what they were talking about or had a $2,500 joke(not including my labor) at my expense. I'm showing you all this picture so you know if you ever install a solid hub clutch on your car, the "Flat side" faces to the transmission and the side that has the protruding splined hub faces the Flywheel.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

That's a really nice clutch! What's it getting bolted to and who sold it to ya?
I either need a Spec 3 or 4.

Hope all goes well this time around.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks! I just finished installing it to my 355 LT1, single T76 Turbo running 15psi(approx 675 rwhp).
I got the best deal ($475?) at ws6store.com
Great guys to deal with.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks nice man. Good luck with everything!

WS6store is awesome to deal with. Glad they are within 20 mins of me .
Old 09-12-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Drove her around today. Got up to just under 16 psi (too freakin high! Lol.. I had to dial the boost controller back to a safe level).
Impressions...
1st gear = fine... a bit of gear whine but if memory serves, any peformance shifter (PRO 5.0 here) transmits a bit
2nd gear = Ditto
3rd gear = Ditto
4th gear = Ditto
5th gear = Ditto
6th gear = Ditto

Reverse... hmm.. now, the guy that sold it to me said it had some trouble getting it to go into reverse but he wasn't sure if it was a bad wire on the reverse lockout solenoid or a real issue. True enough, it's kinda reluctant to go into reverse unless you're very deliberate in your effort.

Downshifting at speed. All gears except downshifting from 6th to 5th work fine. It absolutely will not downshift from 6th to 5th. It doesn't grind or anything, it just is as if it's plain blocked.However, if I downshift from 6th to 4th, it will easily reaccess 5th gear from 4th. Are the shift forks of 5th and Reverse related in some fashion? I just wonder since they both have issues while all other aspects are fine.
Thanks,
Dave

Quick Reply: Installed replacement T56 and SPEC Stage 4 clutch...