Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to get into reverse with MGW shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard to get into reverse with MGW shifter?

So I recently did a clutch change and also installed an MGW shifter. After these two things, it seems extremely hard, almost impossible at times, to get into reverse.

I did a search on Google and it seems like a few Mustang guys were complaining about something similar. But I wanted to see if anyone on here was having a similar problem with an MGW?

Last edited by Counted Out; 09-18-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

How heavy of a clutch is it? might be time for a Tick Master Cylinder. Your stocker probably isnt pushing enough fluid.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepers_88
How heavy of a clutch is it? might be time for a Tick Master Cylinder. Your stocker probably isnt pushing enough fluid.
It's an LT1, the stocker is usually more than fine.

What kind of clutch? Try swapping your old shifter on there and see if the problem goes away.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pumping the clutch seems to help, kinda.

The car will shift into reverse when it is off. Is there any possible downsides to shifting the car into reverse while it is not started?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

other than the fact that its a pain in the ***, you are probably wearing down your syncro's in your forward gears when shifting. If pumping seems to help a little, it sounds like youre not getting enough hydraulic pressure built up in the system, which means youre not getting full disenguagment of your clutch. If the clutch is dragging, its going to wear out your clutch and tranny. You wont hear the grinding in forward gears because they are syncronized. I missed the fact that its an lt1, so I think those hydro systems come as a complete unit? Master to slave? Your clutch hydraulics could just be getting a little old and tired and decided to show its ugly head when you put that ram clutch in.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Try putting it in second gear first and then put in reverse.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

other than the fact that its a pain in the ***, you are probably wearing down your syncro's in your forward gears when shifting. If pumping seems to help a little, it sounds like youre not getting enough hydraulic pressure built up in the system, which means youre not getting full disenguagment of your clutch. If the clutch is dragging, its going to wear out your clutch and tranny. You wont hear the grinding in forward gears because they are syncronized. I missed the fact that its an lt1, so I think those hydro systems come as a complete unit? Master to slave? Your clutch hydraulics could just be getting a little old and tired and decided to show its ugly head when you put that ram clutch in.
I'm missing up the syncro's by shifting it while the car isn't started? I shift it from first (my e-brake doesn't work well) to reverse and then start the car. That's going to cause issues?

Also, the slave and master cylinder were both replaced (separately) the same time the clutch went in.

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Try putting it in second gear first and then put in reverse.
i've tried shifting into second and then shifting into reverse, It doesn't seem to help.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Counted Out
I'm missing up the syncro's by shifting it while the car isn't started? I shift it from first (my e-brake doesn't work well) to reverse and then start the car. That's going to cause issues?

Also, the slave and master cylinder were both replaced (separately) the same time the clutch went in.

i've tried shifting into second and then shifting into reverse, It doesn't seem to help.
No that wasnt what im saying. If its hard to get into reverse (i assume this is with the car running) its a good indication that the clutch is draging or not fully releasing. If this is the case, then while you are driving around normally, it is not fully disengauging then either, which is making all your syncro's work overtime. Maybe your clutch needs to be shimmed? Not as familiar with the LT1's as with the LS1's
Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Counted Out
Pumping the clutch seems to help, kinda.

The car will shift into reverse when it is off. Is there any possible downsides to shifting the car into reverse while it is not started?
Your clutch isn't fully disengaging, that's why it will go into gear just fine when the motor isn't rotating. You might need to shim your clutch or get an adjustable master. FWIW I had an MGW in my ls1 and had no problems getting into any gear.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe your clutch needs to be shimmed? Not as familiar with the LT1's as with the LS1's
Originally Posted by stoverz28
Your clutch isn't fully disengaging, that's why it will go into gear just fine when the motor isn't rotating. You might need to shim your clutch or get an adjustable master. FWIW I had an MGW in my ls1 and had no problems getting into any gear.
I'm pretty sure LT1 clutches never need to be shimmed. But I'll try bleeding the system a bit more and see if that helps.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had absolutely NO problem going into reverse before MGW shifter. Now its a pain in the ***. i almost pulled muscles in my shoulder trying it the first few times. I think its the stiff springs + shorter shifter increasing the effort to get the shifter into reverse. All I know is I had no problem before. If your shifter wont physically go into reverse then I agree its a clutch issue. AFTER the MGW shifter I am having issues into 1st sometimes at a stop light. If I pump the clutch 2x it slides in easy.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Launching!

I'm not sure how to approach this with the LT1 T56, but I had the same issue with my MGW shifter. Replacing the clutch master cylinder with a Tick unit turned the ****** into a stick of butter. So my guess is something with the master cylinder.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

I haven't dealt with any of these personally but it seems that a lot of people are having problems with reverse after going to the mgw shifter. The problem is that it seems like everyone does a clutch at the sametime so it seems that it would hard to narrow down. There are a few guys with the LS1 that have some open threads and they seem to have it narrowed to the slave/master. Fwiw.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Bleed it, get rid of shifter to eliminate that from equation if it still does it. then it aint the shifter. Hydraulics are a bitch on these.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

I will be in tucson next week
Old 09-29-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed the MGW.. Having same issue. .check out my thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...l#post13925800
Old 09-29-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

its not ur shifter. i had the exact same thing happen to my 93z when i put the ram powergrip clutch in it, which i see by ur sig thats what u have...those clutch disks have a tendency to be to thick (at least on lt1s), so its not disengaging all the way, and i could not for the life of me get it into reverse after the install but after i drove it a lil bit it started getting easier and easier to get in reverse
Old 09-29-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chronicle
I'm not sure how to approach this with the LT1 T56, but I had the same issue with my MGW shifter. Replacing the clutch master cylinder with a Tick unit turned the ****** into a stick of butter. So my guess is something with the master cylinder.
I'm going to be replacing the master and slave cylinder with a prebled GM unit.

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
I will be in tucson next week
Want to fix it for me?

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
its not ur shifter. i had the exact same thing happen to my 93z when i put the ram powergrip clutch in it, which i see by ur sig thats what u have...those clutch disks have a tendency to be to thick (at least on lt1s), so its not disengaging all the way, and i could not for the life of me get it into reverse after the install but after i drove it a lil bit it started getting easier and easier to get in reverse
I was waiting for someone to mention this. I went through HELL with the first disc that Ram sent me - I wasn't able to shift into any gear once the car was started. The problem isn't the thickness of the discs, it's that the disc was compressing too much. They finally sent me a different disc that didn't have marcels (so it couldn't compress) and it fixed that problem. The only problem I'm having now is with reverse and I think it's the hydraulics.

Here is my thread about the Ram Disc problem if you're interested in the exact details of the real problem:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ange-help.html
Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

New thread, new symptoms, same problem.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-symptoms.html

Thanks for any and all the help guys. It's appreciated.

Quick Reply: Hard to get into reverse with MGW shifter?