Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Level 3 Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Monster Level 3 Chatter

Guys, I finally found out what was causing my car to shake taking off from a dead stop. My new monster stage three that has been installed for a week now with only 80 miles on it is chattering. I have been driving it like a little old grandma during the break in period. I heard this is normal with the monster clutches, is this correct? And I hear all it takes was some abuse for the chatter to go away. For the past week I thought it was something to do with my pinion angle being off, but I saw a video of clutch chatter and its exactly what I'm experiencing. Anyone else have the same problem, and had it go away when abused?
Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did the same thing. I have over 1k on it now and it still chatters a little. I wouldn't beat on it until you get it fully broken in though. Just try not to slip it too much and it wont chatter.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Mine did the same thing. I have over 1k on it now and it still chatters a little. I wouldn't beat on it until you get it fully broken in though. Just try not to slip it too much and it wont chatter.
Thanks so much man. I was fearing this whole time that my transmission was failing. Thats exactly what I'm doing, slipping it because I'm trying to engage it like a wimp because of the break in period. And when I take off faster from a dead stop there is only minimal chattter.

Last edited by Greekey; 09-25-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure your NOT supposed to slip it at all on break in, use it like an On off switch

i remember reading something from Monster that during break in, slipping the clutch can cause permanent damage to it
Old 09-25-2010, 05:30 AM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure your NOT supposed to slip it at all on break in, use it like an On off switch

i remember reading something from Monster that during break in, slipping the clutch can cause permanent damage to it
Old 09-25-2010, 05:53 AM
Banned

Chatter will improve as you get to your 500 mile break in. Once you've been 500, beat the hell out of it. Won't take long for the rest to go away.

Awesome clutch!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Chatter will improve as you get to your 500 mile break in. Once you've been 500, beat the hell out of it. Won't take long for the rest to go away.

Awesome clutch!
Okay so me lightly slipping the clutch during the break in is fine correct? I dont want this clutch to go bad if I'm slipping the clutch just to take it easy on it.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

first thing i did after break-in was go to the track and launch it. I had virtually no chatter at all
Old 09-25-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My spec 2 still chatters like hell after a couple thousand miles when I reverse, because I normally have to slip it in reverse to go slow. Makes the whole car shake and you can hear it rattling. However, it's seems like it just finally started going away. Glad to see other clutches have the same symptoms, I was starting to think something was wrong with the setup.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

yea dont really slip it during your break in period. Its supposed to be an "on off" feel. once you reach your break in period,then you can drive it like you stole it. Dont fear. You may start to hear a sqeak when starting in 1st after a few hundred miles past breakin if you drive it like its stock. That would be glaze on the flwheel. It wont hurt anything at all. Dump the hell out of it a few times when this starts to happen and the squealing should stop. ENJOY!!!!

Last edited by SStheBest; 09-25-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slipping it slightly is okay, excessive slipping can damage the unit. Be patient and as the clutch breaks in and you adjust your driving style the thing will smooth right out.

If you have any other questions feel free to call us, we'll walk you through anything you throw at us.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, lately ive been getting off the pedal much sooner, almost completely dumping the clutch when taking off slow. The chatter has got to be much much better.

Quick Reply: Monster Level 3 Chatter