Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Expert opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Expert opinions needed

I did some searching but couldn't really find any problems similar to mine.

I replaced my t-56 last night and it seems to be grinding 3rd and 4th gears. 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 6th seem to work seemlessly. It doesn't seem to be disengaging completely because once I press the clutch it'll grind but slowly go into gear.

My first impression is a shim is required, but wouldn't it act the same in ALL gears? If by chance it needs to be shimmed, is there another way to get around this without having to drop the tranny again?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks all
Old 09-25-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

If your clutch was dragging then it would be the same in all gears. When your car is sitting still at idle, is it hard to get it to go into first or reverse? Another test you can do is push the clutch in, put it in first and rev it up to like 5000 and see if your car moves forward at all. If it doesnt then youre clutch is most likely not dragging. It would sound like to me that you have a syncro problem. Maybe a bent shift fork. Do you have a stock master cyl in the car?
Old 09-25-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can go into all gears no problem with the car sitting and clutch in. Once I let the clutch go and try to put back into 3rd or 4th while standing stil it'll take some time to slow into it.

Goes into all other gears no problem. Yes, stock slave and stock updated master.

Im thinking about making my stock master adjustable before I spend the money on the tick.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Sounds to me like you have a shift fork or syncro problem
Old 09-26-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try the Tick Master to see if that'll help. I know it sounds stupid, but when I double clutch it the gears seem to go in sooner. Hopefully it just needs to be adjusted.

The guy I bouth it from said it only had 22,000 miles and was working flawlessly......we'll see