Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

no reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no reverse

Just did a new clutch/throwout/slave in my car and when I put everything back together, there is no reverse. If I push it a little harder, it will grind but I don't want to have to force anything. All my forward gears shift and engage properly.

Basically I'm posting to make sure this couldn't be a common issue with a simple fix before I pull the transmission because I think it's a bad synchro...Let me know what your opinions are and I'll go from there.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Code:
Did you plug the reverse lockout up after having the trans out
Old 09-26-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 68 SS
Code:
Did you plug the reverse lockout up after having the trans out
This wont make any difference if you're getting a grind. I would bleed it again before I pulled it back out though.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

all plugs are reconnected...I'll re-bleed it just in case but if it's grabbing all other 6 gears would it be reverse specific or does reverse just need more throwout to engage than the others??
Old 09-26-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Generally if its just happening in a single gear, its gear related. However; bleeding the clutch is the easiest and cheapest cause its pretty much free and I have seen it fix more than one "trans wont go into gear problem."
Old 09-26-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm having the exact same problem. Here's my thread on it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-symptoms.html

What year is your car? I've narrowed the problem down to my slave and/or master cylinder. Go under your car and see if the plastic strap has broken on your slave cylinder. Mine hasn't, which means that the slave rod isn't extending all the way for some reason. I'm guessing your having a similar problem. I'm also guessing it's slightly harder to get into the other gears, maybe not much harder, but noticeably harder.

I've tried EVERYTHING to fix it, including replacing the slave. I think the problem is that I replaced the slave and master cylinders separately. If you look in the GM Service Manual, it only refers to the master/slave as coming out as one complete unit. Replacing just the slave can cause problems getting it to completely bleed. I'm going to try to buy a prebled GM slave/master set.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

thanks, I'll check for that plastic sleeve. Trans work is definitely my weak point on knowledge. it's a 2000. all the other gears seem perfect, no trouble shifting what so ever. That's why I'm assuming maybe gears specific..

thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: no reverse