Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Soft Clutch Pedal with Monster Stg 4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Soft Clutch Pedal with Monster Stg 4?

Hey all.. my buddy of mine just got his 408/9"/Built T-56 back and we are having some issues with the clutch pedal and shifting..

Here's the details

- Built T-56 (not sure of the exact components, we can call builder if needed)
- Monster Stg 4 Clutch premium package, so new slave as well
- Stock Master cylinder with drill mod
- NEW CLUTCH FLUID (before anyone asks)

This is our problem. The pedal is very very soft, almost non existent some times. When he first got the car, with 60ish k miles on it, the pedal was very firm he said. After driving it to it's current mileage, 77,xxx, the pedal has become very soft. He built the motor, rear end, and trans as mentioned above, and all were just recently installed, less than 500 miles ago. It is also hard to hit shifts when WOT. 1-2 is slightly slow, 2-3 is very good, but 3-4 is hitting a brick wall.

The transmission was built and assembled by Bobby Brinkley in Kinston, NC, a very respectable and reputable trans builder. Also included with the build was a 1 year unlimited miles warranty, no matter what type of driving was to be done.

This is what we have done to diagnose the problem. First we swapped my master cylinder with his (34k vs 77k miles) and we did the drill mod. Install went fine and we pre-bled the master cylinder prior to installing the line in the slave. I am not sure if the pedal is firm when the valve on the quick-disconnect fitting is closed, and vice versa when open. What I have read is that when you disconnect the fitting from the slave, and the valve is closed, when the pedal is pushed in, it should be firm, which would signify that the master is the culprit. I am not sure on the facts of this. What we do know is A. The slave and clutch are new, B. NEW CLUTCH FLUID THROUGHOUT, C. My old master cylinder did indeed stick (thus the drill mod), D. I have bled the system two ways, one using a Mity Vac with 10-13hg of pressure, and two from under the car using the bleeder valve.

What our plans are. He plans to get a Tick Master cylinder and we will install it to a T on the directions. But we are not sure this is going to fix a soft pedal. I have inspected the master's lines and none appear to be leaking.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

bump still lookin for answers
Old 10-28-2010, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates on the issue, im having a very similar problem.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Level 4 units are not designed with a heavy pedal in the first place, the effort should be just slightly more than a stock setup.

Give us a call at the shop and we'll walk you through some things.

817-750-2000
Old 11-04-2010, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

We'll give you guys a call next week when I get home. The stg 4 is in my buddies car. He just got a Tick master that we'll be putting in when I return. The pedal is most definitely EASIER than stock too. Talk to ya in a few days.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like he needs the tick with his setup. Its wierd to me. Some guys can go with a stock MC others end up having to get the tick MC and wal la, problem is gone.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

just got done installing the Tick.. pedal is much firmer.. still having some bleeding issues but pedal is much much better. Has anyone installed the speed bleeder line with the trans still hooked up to the car? I got down there and there is no way in hell I can get the fitting down in the slave with the washer and all.

Quick Reply: Soft Clutch Pedal with Monster Stg 4?