Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Master Cylinder

I'm having strang clutch hydraulic issues with one of my Vettes. My C5 has been running exceptional for the past 4 months since it was given a new stock OEM clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. Clutch engages and disengages like butter and shifting through the gears are like butter. The SPEC 3+ clutch grabs and hold exceptionally and show no signs of slippage.

However, out of nowhere all of a sudden on my way home from work, I was approaching a light, so I press in the clutch and put the tranny in neutral and coast to a stop at the light. The light goes greee, I press in the clutch to put the tranny in 1st and no bueno. The car will not go in gear. There is still clutch pedal pressure, but not as much pressure as before. So I check the clutch fluid resevoir and its clean and full.

I'm at a loss because with the car off, I can row through the gears flawlessly. But with the clutch peddle pushed in, the car will crank and idle in neutral, but I can't get it in gear. With the car in gear, at first I could crank it and it would jump forward and shut off. Then I did it a few more times, cranking the car with the tranny in gear and now it won't even crank with the car in gear and the clutch pedal pushed in. I don't think the clutch is disengaging so I turned the car off, put it in neutral and pushed it home.

Do you you think my clutch master cylinder could have failed or somehow I could have gotten air into the lines? What could possibly be going on?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Because of the quick, extreme nature of the situation I'd say either your master or slave have failed. I'm hard pressed to believe just bleeding the clutch fluid would fix this as it didn't slowly get worse, it was just all of a sudden not going into gear. Nevertheless if it were me I'd still bleed the heck out of it and see what that does. If nothing changes I'd change the master. Maybe the master blew a valve or something? Then if that doesn't work drop the tranny and do the slave.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Because of the quick, extreme nature of the situation I'd say either your master or slave have failed. I'm hard pressed to believe just bleeding the clutch fluid would fix this as it didn't slowly get worse, it was just all of a sudden not going into gear. Nevertheless if it were me I'd still bleed the heck out of it and see what that does. If nothing changes I'd change the master. Maybe the master blew a valve or something? Then if that doesn't work drop the tranny and do the slave.
+1

Start off with bleeding it and if that doesn't fix it then try a new master cylinder.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates??
Old 10-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Launching!

UPDATE: I finally installed a new clutch master cylinder and bled the system good. The clutch pedal felt Significantly firmer and positive than before. I cranked the car up and pushed the clutch pedal in and it went into 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th, but would not go into 5th, 6th and reverse. I went back into 1,2,3,4th again and again it would not go into 5th, 6th or reverse. So I turned the car off and rowed through all 6 gears and reverse just fine. I turn the car back on and this time it wont let me go into any gear. WTF! I cant get it into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th or reverse. Also with the clutch pedal pushed in, and held in with the car running, it doesn't die like it did previously. What is going on? Could it be the pressure plate?