Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Think my trans is hurt

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 05:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Think my trans is hurt

Okay so im jsut getting to the point where im street driving my new rear end and i noticed a little bit of gear whine. Thought it was normal, after all the new gears are richmond 4.56s and are going to be louder than most, but then i noticed something...

the noise went away when i pushed the clutch in

This is the first time ive been driving my car since my rear end took a dump at the drag strip nearly 4 months ago So it could have been sitting there broke the whole time without me knowing it.

It gets louder with speed, is hear on accel and deaccel and goes away with the clutch in. It also seems like the trans might be running hotter than normal if that could indicate anything.

Sound like trans noise or gear noise?
Old 10-02-2010, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Still sounds like rear-end gear whine, it just lessens when you unload the drivetrain from the motor by pushing in the clutch.

Was the driveshaft damaged when the rear let go? Have you ever measured for driveshaft bind?

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
Okay so im jsut getting to the point where im street driving my new rear end and i noticed a little bit of gear whine. Thought it was normal, after all the new gears are richmond 4.56s and are going to be louder than most, but then i noticed something...

the noise went away when i pushed the clutch in

This is the first time ive been driving my car since my rear end took a dump at the drag strip nearly 4 months ago So it could have been sitting there broke the whole time without me knowing it.

It gets louder with speed, is hear on accel and deaccel and goes away with the clutch in. It also seems like the trans might be running hotter than normal if that could indicate anything.

Sound like trans noise or gear noise?
Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the trans in 4th gear and see if the noise is still there. I can almost guarantee you a 4.56 gear is going to be noisy in a passenger car like yours.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, the driveshaft was fine, how to i measure for d/s bind?

source, i dont mind the noise at all, i just want to make sure the trans isnt going too

Quick Reply: Think my trans is hurt