Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse Poping out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Poping out of gear

Ok, I picked up a Tranny last year and upon delivery and installation. I found that my newly purchased T56 didn't have a 2nd gear, so I pulled the tranny and shipped it back to the junkyard in AZ and the rebuilt it under warranty. Now this rebuild was done about 1200 miles away so I can't confirm what was actually done.

So, here's the deal. I've never driven on with this tranny prior to the rebuild since this was a complete swap, but when I put the tranny in Reverse and try to back up, it pops out. Now if I hold the shifter in place I'm usually good, but from time to time it even grinds a little. Now, until recently reverse lockout solenoid has not been hooked up. I recently hooked it up properly but haven't really driven the car since. I pulled the engine and tranny because I was having a problem with 4th gear slipping, so I just purchased a new flywheel and clutch kit. My neighbor was telling me earlier that my reverse problem could be a shimming issues with the reverse gear and that I might wanted to check out the tranny since it's currently located on my garage floor. I'm wondering if I should really be concerned with this issue or just chalk it up to the reverse lockout and bad clutch or do I need to do some inspecting. If so, can someone give me some insturctions on how? Oh, the tranny had 52,000 miles before the rebuild and probably about 3,000 miles since the rebuild. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If it pops out, then it's not fully locked in..

- Shifter stops (not typical for reverse)
- Shift fork pads worn or broken
- Synchro keys/springs broken

It's fairly easy to knock the rollpin out of the shifter offset and take the tailhousing off and inspect the fork pads. You can try to shift it into Rev and
peek at the keys also. But taking the fork and synchro off are the best way.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Crap, so no possibility of a bad combination. Well I guess that's what I needed to know. Hopefully my neighbor can walk me through the inspection process.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, well I removed the tailhousing to inspect like 85MikeTPI said and here are a couple of pics.
Again, I personally have no clue what I'm looking at, but my neighbor said it looks like the reverse hub may have been installed upside down. He left his snap ringer plyers at work, so he will bring them home tomorrow and we will tear some of it down to see whats up. Any other ideas???

Old 10-21-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, well flipping the reverse hub and checking the dog ears on that secure the hub seems to have helped the issue. Atleast from our inital inspections while the tranny is still torn apart.

Oh, there is a small snap ring right above the reverse shift fork that had to be removed when uninstalling for inspection. The snap ring looks to be in perfect condition and again the tranny was just rebuilt 3,000 miles ago, but when I was looking through the T56 service manual it says that, that snap ring should be replaced it removed. Should I really worry about that? If so anyone know where I can pick up another snap ring that size?