Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Pedal Sticking.. Clutch Master Cylinder the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Pedal Sticking.. Clutch Master Cylinder the cause?

So on my 02 ws6 frequently when I hold down the clutch pedal all the way to the floor it will get stuck. When this happens, it won't allow me to shift the car into gear out of neutral; I have to manually lift it back up with my foot to be able to shift into gear. I had the car in the shop today and the tech said that the clutch master cylinder is bad, thus causing this symptom. He also showed me the clutch fluid reservoir and said that the black sludgy buildup inside the fluid was actually "metal shavings". I didn't see anything metallic looking in the fluid and the fluid level was not low.

I've had the car for 6 years and has always had this issue, never seems to have gotten worse. Although I did have the tranny rebuilt at about 75K because the car got stuck in 4th gear supposedly b/c of a bad synchronizer. The young tech today said over time a bad master can cause the synchronizers to go bad.

Whats are you guys' thoughts on this? Do you think the clutch master is actually the root cause of the pedal sticking and will it actually wear out the tranny synchros? Thanks!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ANY issue with the clutch not disengaging fully, properly, WILL eat synchros. I promise. Clutch problems on these cars with stock items are common. Replacing the slave and master will not guarantee your problem will be fixed and no mechanic should corner themselves into telling you it will.
My car would stick the pedal to the floor everytime I ran it above 5k going from 1st,2nd, and then 2nd going from 3rd it would stay on the floor and not let me shift into 3rd. I replaced slave and master and switched to a puck type disk with the same factory LS6 pressure plate. The pedal would still get soft and stick although not as bad as before. I switched to a non self adjusting pressure plate and no problems since.
Now I'm not saying you wont replace a master cylinder and be ok but if I ever have to do another like this, I'm replacing everything once to avoid some trouble.
This is pure speculation but IMO what these self adjusting pressure plates are prone to is having the fingers on the pressure plate push outwards toward the slave the higher the RPM's go. This would be similar to having your brake pistons pushed all the way back into the calipers while you drove and when you pushed on the pedal, you'd have no brakes till you pumped them a couple of times. Mine, BTW seemed to get worse with miles and/or all the hard driving.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I should mention also that when I replaced all my clutch parts, the trans started grinding several gears regularly because the synchros had already been damaged by me letting the problem go on for quite some time...... Before I did the clutch, I noticed that 5th and 6th would give a slight grind nearly everytime I shifted. After I opened it up, I learned that 1-3 and 5th-6th were toast! 4th was still good.....
Old 10-12-2010, 02:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Check out our FAQ: http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master

Very informative read.