Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stuck in 4th and grinding

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Stuck in 4th and grinding

Ok Aamco has had my trans apart 6 times this will make the 7th I believe. Anyway it keeps getting stuck in 4th gear its done this 3 times the last time i popped back out likely so I can drive it back. But they've replaced all the syncros, fork pads, countershaft, and 2nd gear itself. Now when its not stuck in 4th it grinds coming out of 6th back to 5th pretty fast and you can take it in and out of 4th easy and it will grind pretty consistently at times but sometimes not at all. What is it that they could be missing. Could the 3-4 slider keys cause the grinding to. I've all ready printed some threads off to show them about the slider keys but I don't know if it could cause any grinding. Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, 7 times!! That is simply unacceptable. I would cut my losses & send it elsewhere. There are several people and shops here on this site that will do the job right (myself included )
Sounds like they didn't replace the 3-4 synchro assembly and it keeps breaking keys because of that. They should also put in the billet 3-4 keys.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Are the keys something that could be missed if your not familiar with this transmission. And would that cause the grinding in 3rd and 5th at times. It hasn't done it in 3rd since I got it back but It has in 5th several times. And even before it started getting stuck in 4th it would grind 3,4,and 5 at times. Espescially when it was cold. It was very consitent when cold but after it got it hot it might grind once in 100 miles. At this point theres about 1500 bucks in the trans and about 6 or so 2 hour drives one way. Not to mention the wear on my clutch from pulling out in 4th. ha ha. Thanks
Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Are the keys something that could be missed if your not familiar with this transmission. And would that cause the grinding in 3rd and 5th at times. It hasn't done it in 3rd since I got it back but It has in 5th several times. And even before it started getting stuck in 4th it would grind 3,4,and 5 at times. Espescially when it was cold. It was very consitent when cold but after it got it hot it might grind once in 100 miles. At this point theres about 1500 bucks in the trans and about 6 or so 2 hour drives one way. Not to mention the wear on my clutch from pulling out in 4th. ha ha. Thanks
Most builders would replace all the keys during a rebuild, regardless of how they look. Its cheap insurance. If a synchronizer assembly (a.k.a. slider/hub gear) is not replaced when it should be, then it will continue to break the keys, even if they are new ones. This would cause grinding and popping out of gear. As for 5th grinding, it could be an old ring that wasn't replaced, or old synchro asm.