Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Clutch, New Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clutch, New Problems.

ok so about 2,000 miles ago I did a monster stg 3 clutch swap, new flywheel, new PP, tick perf. T-56 lvl 2 re-build, new pilot bearing, new T/O bearing and new slave cyl. The car nows seems to slightly grind in 1-4th gears. I can release the clutch slowly and stop the grind sometimes. Also after a long drive the other day, I have an issue where I pushed the clutch in to change the gears and as I moved the shifter, it grinded as almost the clutch wasn't even engaged ( has happend twice ). Anyways it's pretty much a small grind as soon as I release the clutch after every gear change. The only thing that wasn't changed during my upgrade was the Master Cyl. I have a Tick one in the garage. Thanks to blueknights new video, I'll be installing it soon. Also when the clutch is out, it makes the funny noise as if my T/O bearing is bad ( the rattle )... Video posted below is a good example of that sound. So do you guys think just changing the Master Cyl. will fix all these issues? also what exactly is clutch chatter?

thanks...

-Example of noise when clutch is out: ( FAST FORWARD TO 1:10 secs ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Vc7IXfdSg

-no good videos available of an example of slight grinding after clutch release in almost every gear
Old 10-12-2010, 04:04 AM
TECH Regular

So tonite I took the TA out and was on the freeway, just cruising. I went to downshift from 6th to 5th and when I went to go push in the clutch, the pedal fell to the floor. I tried to pull the pedal back to life with my foot several times, but no luck. Something sounded like it was getting thrown around and hit in the bellhousing so I jerked it into neutral. even with the car in neutral, when I release the clutch it goes to banging again so I had to hold the clutch in. I don't get it, Hold the clutch in while its in neutral just to keep it from going nuts inside that bellhousing... I cut the car off ( tried to let clutch/flywheel cool ). tried it again, hard as hell to get it into ANY gear BUT reverse. finally after playing with it. It would try to drive in 1st and such but after releasing the clutch, it goes to banging and slapping again so I had to hold the clutch in and keep the car running so my battery wouldn't die and the tow truck can see my lights on...$175 tow!

I dunno what the **** happend. I double/trippled/quaddroople checked everything 2K miles ago when I did the swap. I am almost 100% certain I did everything right... I'm still stumped on what happend. More or less, looks like the damn transmission has gotta come out again...****...

all comments or previous stories are welcome :\
Old 10-12-2010, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn that sucks,yeah pull it out and let us know what you find.Hopefully its just something stupid