Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trouble getting tranny back in, need some tips please

Old 10-16-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble getting tranny back in, need some tips please

Took the tranny out to replace the rear main seal and now Im puttin it back in and the input shaft will not go into the pilot bearing

The shaft is in the clutch disk but wont go in any further. Spent about 5 hours and have gotten nowhere. Used a clutch alignment tool and it slips right in, go to put the mate the tranny up and it refuses. Also used some lithium grease but that has served no aid. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the trans is in gear, then try putting the driveshaft yoke in the end of the trans, then rotate the yoke a little at a time in between trying to get the splines to line up. Sometimes it's a real bitch, and other times it goes right in. Also, I use a floor jack on the tail of the trans so that I'm not lifting the entire weight of the transmission. It helps to have two people, one to run the jack and the other to line up the splines.

How do the splines on the input shaft look? If they're all gummed up with dirt/debris it won't want to slip into the splines of the clutch disk very easily.

Mike
Old 10-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

I know. it can get frustrating doing this. Are you using a tranny jack? Tranny jacks make this process SO much easier.
You also just have to find that perfect alignment of the input shaft. It will go in, just dont force it.
What I found easy for me was using a jack to get the Transmission up to about where it needed to be, with the input shaft going into the clutch disk. Then I'd pick the tranny up on my shoulder and slide it in. Worked like a charm for me. But then again, I was using a lift. Might me a *little* harder if you're doing this on the ground.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Make sure the trans is in gear, then try putting the driveshaft yoke in the end of the trans, then rotate the yoke a little at a time in between trying to get the splines to line up. Sometimes it's a real bitch, and other times it goes right in. Also, I use a floor jack on the tail of the trans so that I'm not lifting the entire weight of the transmission. It helps to have two people, one to run the jack and the other to line up the splines.

How do the splines on the input shaft look? If they're all gummed up with dirt/debris it won't want to slip into the splines of the clutch disk very easily.

Mike
I had no problem at all getting the splines to go in the clutch disk, that part is done. But now its to the point where the tip of the input shaft needs to go into the center of the pilot bearing and its not. I did have a friend helping and there is a jack on the tail of the tranny. We tried every angle. Its about 1 inch maybe less away from mating itself, this is a pain
Old 10-16-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Monkey_fuerte
I know. it can get frustrating doing this. Are you using a tranny jack? Tranny jacks make this process SO much easier.
You also just have to find that perfect alignment of the input shaft. It will go in, just dont force it.
What I found easy for me was using a jack to get the Transmission up to about where it needed to be, with the input shaft going into the clutch disk. Then I'd pick the tranny up on my shoulder and slide it in. Worked like a charm for me. But then again, I was using a lift. Might me a *little* harder if you're doing this on the ground.
Yeah wish I had a lift. I barely have the car high enough to slide under the front. Wish i had a tranny jack too but they were over $100 even at harbor freight
Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

You can rent a tranny jack. I can get one for $20 a day where I live.
If there's no rental places around you, it would probably be worth it to just hash out the cash for a new tranny jack. It's a nice piece of equipment.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Did a little searching, looks like cracking the bleeder on the slave might help. But if it's not lining up it's not lining up. Heard some people have had trouble with the plastic clutch alignment tools not keeping the disc truly centered as the PP is tightened. Its all I have though I dont have an extra input shaft laying around.

I just really hate the thought of dropping it again, removing the bellhousing and loosening the PP to center the disc.

Another idea was to grab some 4 inch bolts and cut the heads off and make slits so you can turn them with a flathead, then thread them into the bellhousing and they would act as a guide.

Probably try it again tomorrow, Im sore everywhere, esp my neck!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
I had no problem at all getting the splines to go in the clutch disk, that part is done. But now its to the point where the tip of the input shaft needs to go into the center of the pilot bearing and its not. I did have a friend helping and there is a jack on the tail of the tranny. We tried every angle. Its about 1 inch maybe less away from mating itself, this is a pain
Did you replace the pilot bushing/bearing by chance? If so, did you check to see if it was the correct inside diameter for your input shaft?

If you have everything lined up to the point where it's only got one inch to go until it's mated, get yourself a couple longer bolts to close the gap. The resistance you're encountering is more then likely the slave putting preload on the pressure plate, not the pilot bushing/bearing. Just make sure you have an equal distance all the way around the mating surfaces when tightening up the longer bolts a little at a time. If the bolts start getting too tight then you might have another problem so don't force it. It shouldn't take a whole lot of force to tighten the bolts and close the gap the rest of the way.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 10-17-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the input, looks like I had the wrong alignment tool. My buddy didnt realize it was a little smaller diameter tool than needed. Have another friend coming over today with the correct one.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Oh yeah, I forgot about the slave issue. Just make sure you either have the quickrelease hooked up to the master or you crack the bleeder open. Otherwise you risk deadheading your slave.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

It's in! The correct alignment tool and the correct person to come help make all the difference!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trouble getting tranny back in, need some tips please