Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch and hydrualic replacement, won't go into gear, wtf!?

Old 10-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry clutch and hydrualic replacement, won't go into gear, wtf!?

Ok, so first time I did this, replaced master and slave with OE equivelent parts from napa and pep boys, Fidanza flywheel, and McLeod clutch and pressure plate. Trans would into gear with the car off, but not while running. I checked the master, the new master was bad, so I replaced and had the same problem

I called Fidanza, they said the flywheel would work with my combo no problem, McLeod on the other hand, says I have to use their flywheel, so I figure maybe it mechanically bound, or the new slave is bad.

I then proceed to do the trans a second time, mind you the car hasn't moved, lol. I put in the McLeod flywheel, and checked the slave. The slave was leaking from the seal, so I put in another new slave as well. Thinking that all has to be well by this point, reassemble, bleed again, and same frigin problem!

I have no idea what to do at this point, everything new 2 times, and it still is fighting me. Any help is much appreciated as I am very frustrated by this point!!

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

Well, as long as you had installed the clutch correctly, it's most likely a hydraulic issue, or you didnt properly shim your slave.
Personally, I would return that Autozone slave and use an '02 OEM slave. And as long as there is nothing wrong with your stock master, there is no need to replace it just yet. But most aftermarket clutches seem to need an adjustable master anyway.
There is a write up somewhere on here about how to properly measure for a shim. Take a look at that. If the slave doesnt have the right size shim on it, the TOB wont be able to push the PP fingers as far, thus preventing it from fully disengaging the disk.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Launching!

I put the speed inc shim plate in with the trans, and the clutch is in correctly. The slave is from carquest listed as an OEM part, as was the one from napa. I'm leaning more towards the pressure plate fingers not being pushed in as far as they need to be, I'm just not sure why, or how to fix it
Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Did you measure for a shim? Are you getting alot of slack in the pedal before you feel the TOB touch the PP fingers?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Launching!

It doesn't feel like there is any slack, theres a pedal feel from the top. No I did ,measure for a shim, i thought that it was a universal size, speed inc only sells one thickness.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Any body else? Any advice will help at this point
Old 10-21-2010, 12:11 PM
FormerVendor

We offer slave shims in .025" increments. We also offer a large bore master cylinder that will move the bearing farther as well.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Launching!

So what would you recommend I get? I'd prefer not to have to do either again, but I'll do what I have to I guess. The car does go into gear when i press the clutch and I have the car elevated in the air, and the back wheels spin a little, but slow enough that I could prolly stop them with some force.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:38 PM
FormerVendor

I would first determine what kind of free play you have between the bearing and the fingers of the pressure plate. Look at the picture i have attached, the first measurement is from the flange of the bell to the fingers on the pressure plate. This will be you "A" dimension. Then compress your bearing on the trans and measure from the bearing face to the face of the transmission. This will be your "B" dimension. Subtract "B" dimension from the "A" dimension and that will tell you your free play. Then you can figure out if you need more shim and how much you'll need.
Attached Thumbnails clutch and hydrualic replacement, won't go into gear, wtf!?-hyd-bearing-measurment2.jpg  
Old 10-21-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BlackM6
So what would you recommend I get? I'd prefer not to have to do either again, but I'll do what I have to I guess. The car does go into gear when i press the clutch and I have the car elevated in the air, and the back wheels spin a little, but slow enough that I could prolly stop them with some force.
You're saying the back wheels start spinning while the car is in the air, trans is in gear and the clutch is depressed right? Sounds like your shim was the wrong size and the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Since it's a stock non-adj. master you're pretty much screwed here as far as not having to take it apart again. If you're going to stick with a stock master you just need to get the right shim in there.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Thank you, This sounds like the culprit and the problem solver. Now I get to pull the trans a gain, woot!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clutch and hydrualic replacement, won't go into gear, wtf!?