Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 problems

I had been having problems with reverse for a while. I would have to give it some gusto to get my shifter over far enough to push it up into reverse, well yesterday I was taking it to a stealership to get them to check out my power steering and new **** started up. I could move the shifter fine but 1st, 3rd, 5th gear the shifter would go into position and then could keep moving forward and thus pop out of gear, if you stop it at just the right spot it stays in gear. My buddy says it is probably a shift fork or gate, the stealership called back saying it would probably be cheaper to put a new transmission in. The parts jockey said the guy that was looking at the car said it was probably worse than just a fork or gate and is saying up to 6000 to rebuild it....
Old 10-19-2010, 02:15 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Troubleshoot your reverse lockout solenoid. It prevents shifting to the right to get into the reverse gate.

Re: the 1,3,5, double check that your shifter bolts have not loosened before you do anything else.

You won't get a decent price on a rebuild / new trans. from the dealer. Your buddy, the parts jockey and the service writer are all less than credible in this case.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

i shipped mine to texas to morris motorsports and had it rebuilt for 1150 bucks including shipping, with the level two rebuild.. drives perfect with no problems.

$6000?? that sounds like a bunch of bull **** to me unless its replacing and upgrading every little part in your trans... even then it still too much..

Last edited by jb98camaro; 10-20-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:36 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Since you are having issues with 1,3,5, then this leads me to believe that the shifter stop bolt may have loosened up and is now blocking the shifter from going into these gears. The chances of all 3 of those gears suddenly going bad is non-existent. However, if you do need a rebuild, check my sig. Most of the time its around 800-1100 total depending on what all is wrong. Price starts at $680 + shipping for a Stage 2.

Quick Reply: T56 problems