Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

monster level 3 squeal again and again and again

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default monster level 3 squeal again and again and again

First off when i changed the clutch i also changed the master and slave cylinders and have only put 2500 miles on clutch from May of this year until Today!!! NOT A DAILY DRIVER.

ok so i have had the clutch since may of this year and i love it except for this squeal that keeps coming back. Now when it first happend around June, i read on here that it was a common thing and that all you had to do is go beat on it and it should go away. So i went out and dumped it a couple of times at 2k and then a couple at 3k and then some at 5k, and i still had the squeal!!!

I was pissed but then started talking to a friend that had the same clutch and he said flush the fluid so i did. That made the problem go away for about a week of driving and then the squeal came back. I checked the fluid and it was dirty so i flushed it again and it worked for about the same amount of time. I flush the fluid again and now the squeal is still there! and now is starting to do it when i down shift.

I am looking for any help on ideas of what i should do? The clutch still grabs like no tomorrow and nothing feels wrong just the dam squeal. Thanks and have a good one
Old 10-22-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem. I believe my slave may be leaking. Im gonna try bleeding it and putting new fluid in and see if it goes away.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

I have the EXACT same problem. Its becoming very very annoying. I have spent over $1000+ dollars on my Monster clutch setup and it squeals like a dying pig.

I honestly regret ever buying a Monster clutch. I should have gone with a nice Twin Disk like McLeod.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sucks to here that we got the same dam problem. This clutch sucks just because of that dam squeal!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I could care less about the squeal to tell ya the truth. Mine does go away after a night at the track though. It grabs awsome and loves to be beat on
Old 10-22-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know after I change cams this winter I will need a clutch and I have no doubt about the holding compacity of their clutch but LOTS of people have had the "squeal" problem. I hope they are able to fix that issue so I can get a clutch for them this winter.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Monster clutches aren't the only clutches that squeal like that. It's not something that they're doing wrong, just the nature of the material in the disc. I've heard some top of the line badass clutches like the Mcleod soft lok do the same thing.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
Monster clutches aren't the only clutches that squeal like that. It's not something that they're doing wrong, just the nature of the material in the disc. I've heard some top of the line badass clutches like the Mcleod soft lok do the same thing.
You are correct there are other companys that have had the same issue. I have never heard a duel disk clutch do this so I am thinking that might be the way to go. Or go for a Iron disk setup.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RJB01camaross
You are correct there are other companys that have had the same issue. I have never heard a duel disk clutch do this so I am thinking that might be the way to go. Or go for a Iron disk setup.
If by iron, you mean sintered iron, then I definitely would not put that in any kind of a street car. They are super aggressive when they get hot. If you've ever heard a clutch referred to as an on/off switch, that's exactly what they're like. A twin disc setup is hard to beat these days. Plenty of holding power, and silky smooth pedal. Just a few more bucks than singles.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
If by iron, you mean sintered iron, then I definitely would not put that in any kind of a street car. They are super aggressive when they get hot. If you've ever heard a clutch referred to as an on/off switch, that's exactly what they're like. A twin disc setup is hard to beat these days. Plenty of holding power, and silky smooth pedal. Just a few more bucks than singles.
I have driven Iron disk clutches on the street and it doesnt bother me. You are correct its like a on/off switch style but once you get used to it its not a big deal. I'd rather have that then a noisy clutch anyday.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RJB01camaross
I have driven Iron disk clutches on the street and it doesnt bother me. You are correct its like a on/off switch style but once you get used to it its not a big deal. I'd rather have that then a noisy clutch anyday.
You're right, it's just a matter of getting used to it. The same could be said for driving a faceplated trans on the street. No biggie once you get it down. Anyway, sorry for getting off topic here.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad I went with the Textralia oz700 z grip plain and simple. 100+ passes high 1.5 sixty foots without skipping a beat. Way better than the three rps single disks before that. Oh yeah and it doesn't squeal at all. But hey if the monster holds at the track, dynamat the floor board and trans tunnel and call it a day. I'd rather deal with a lil noise then slipping clutches ever again. Hope everything works out for ya.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tyler ovel
First off when i changed the clutch i also changed the master and slave cylinders and have only put 2500 miles on clutch from May of this year until Today!!! NOT A DAILY DRIVER.

ok so i have had the clutch since may of this year and i love it except for this squeal that keeps coming back. Now when it first happend around June, i read on here that it was a common thing and that all you had to do is go beat on it and it should go away. So i went out and dumped it a couple of times at 2k and then a couple at 3k and then some at 5k, and i still had the squeal!!!

I was pissed but then started talking to a friend that had the same clutch and he said flush the fluid so i did. That made the problem go away for about a week of driving and then the squeal came back. I checked the fluid and it was dirty so i flushed it again and it worked for about the same amount of time. I flush the fluid again and now the squeal is still there! and now is starting to do it when i down shift.

I am looking for any help on ideas of what i should do? The clutch still grabs like no tomorrow and nothing feels wrong just the dam squeal. Thanks and have a good one
Do you have the means to post a video of this "Squeal"?

I am very close to purchasing a Monster Stage 3 and installing it in my Firebird this Winter.

I have seen other videos of the Monster Stage 3 Squeal, but I am very curious if yours is worse than what I've already heard.

Thanks O.P.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

No i dont have the means of posting a video, sorry. but the videos that i have seen on here such as this one( https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual...er-update.html ) is the squeal that im dealing with.

Its a nice clutch and grips hard just sucks when you got a cute bitch in your car and you come to a full stop and have to take off again and your freaking car squeaks haha.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

tyler ovel i know what you mean. I purchased my monster for my Z and it too started squeaking. If i come out on it a little harder it wont squeak. But traffic doesnt always allow for this. It does suck when you have a crowd of people starring at your ride in marvel. Only to have your car squeak like somthin is wrong with it
Old 10-24-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SStheBest
tyler ovel i know what you mean. I purchased my monster for my Z and it too started squeaking. If i come out on it a little harder it wont squeak. But traffic doesnt always allow for this. It does suck when you have a crowd of people starring at your ride in marvel. Only to have your car squeak like somthin is wrong with it
double
Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

No i dont have the means of posting a video, sorry. but the videos that i have seen on here such as this one( https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual...er-update.html ) is the squeal that im dealing with.
The link didn't take me anywhere, but its cool, man. Like I said, I've heard the squeal before. I was just curious if yours was the be-all-end-all of noises that would convince me to look elsewhere for an upgraded clutch.

Its a nice clutch and grips hard just sucks when you got a cute bitch in your car and you come to a full stop and have to take off again and your freaking car squeaks haha.
I've heard you can beat on the ****** all day and it still grabs no matter what you do to it. But I agree with your comment. I want my car to be the complete package. Performance, Looks, and not sounding like a cobbled up piece of ****. LOL

From what I've read and been told by a few who own this clutch, the squeal is definitely live-able. I'll most likely be purchasing it to see for myself.

Thanks for posting up and replying to my question.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car squals, its not all the time, depends on the temp and how you take off.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:40 PM
FormerVendor

Guys we have to address this a few times a week.

Our Level 3's squeal due to driving habits, period. If you excessively slip the clutch during normal operation it's going to build a glaze on the disc that will cause squealing no matter who the manufacturer is. We've adjusted the material a little bit to help with this, but, the fact still remains.

You guys have to realize that you must change your driving habits when using this clutch. This is not a stock setup, the ability for the clutch to slip is up to the driver which means if you slip the heck out of it during normal driving it's going to squeal. I recommend that you take the car out to the track and beat to knock the glaze off. Once you've done that take the car to a vacated parking lot and practice driving the setup with a quicker release when you start from a stop.

I will tell you that 100% of all the customers that have brought their cars up here locally with this issue leave with a completely different respect for the clutch, and they don't have the noise anymore. I typically will let the customer drive me around the block, then I'll repeat what they did with slightly modified driving habits and the squeal doesn't exist.

Be patient, the clutches are amazing units but you absolutely must change your driving habits!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Guys we have to address this a few times a week.

Our Level 3's squeal due to driving habits, period. If you excessively slip the clutch during normal operation it's going to build a glaze on the disc that will cause squealing no matter who the manufacturer is. We've adjusted the material a little bit to help with this, but, the fact still remains.

You guys have to realize that you must change your driving habits when using this clutch. This is not a stock setup, the ability for the clutch to slip is up to the driver which means if you slip the heck out of it during normal driving it's going to squeal. I recommend that you take the car out to the track and beat to knock the glaze off. Once you've done that take the car to a vacated parking lot and practice driving the setup with a quicker release when you start from a stop.

I will tell you that 100% of all the customers that have brought their cars up here locally with this issue leave with a completely different respect for the clutch, and they don't have the noise anymore. I typically will let the customer drive me around the block, then I'll repeat what they did with slightly modified driving habits and the squeal doesn't exist.

Be patient, the clutches are amazing units but you absolutely must change your driving habits!
Hey thanks for posting a reply! I guess i just need to change how i drive after if get the glaze off again

Quick Reply: monster level 3 squeal again and again and again