Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Much Needed Clutch Replacement Advice for a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Much Needed Clutch Replacement Advice for a Newbie

I've done a few searches on these forums that pretty much run the gamut of car setups and varying recommendations and this being my first ever clutch replacement I just want to be extra sure, so here is my situation.

I have a 2002 Camaro SS with mostly minor upgrades: SLP MAF sensor, high-flow bellows, cold air intake, cat-back exhaust, etc with the one major exception being that I replaced the original motor with a 2003 LS6 crate motor. The transmission is completely stock and the car has never been on the dyno. After having my current setup for over a year and my friend begging me to go to the track, I went out to give it a shot but instead of nice numbers I got some fairly incredible stink from my clutch. Since my car is a daily driver and I usually treat my clutch very gently I assumed the clutch could hold one nasty pass...I was wrong.

So, I'm looking for something that can hold everything in my current setup plus I plan on getting this thing on the dyno for some added hp ASAP after getting my new clutch installed. Unfortunately, as it's never been on the dyno, my guess at a hp rating would be a tad inexact (perhaps 460 after dyno?). Again, this is for a daily driver that will be at the track once, maybe twice, a year and I want to be extra sure it can take an occasional beating. Price is obviously a factor but not necessarily the most important one.

Monster seems to be popular around the forums, although a lot of people at my local strip seem to like their centerforce. I've also seen a few people who swear by the LS7 clutches. Basically, I'm open to just about anything within reason. I was thinking about a Stage II since I want to be extra sure it won't break but I also don't want it to be too grabby. Also, as a final note, my friend (who mainly works on mustangs) said he'd help me swap the clutch out since I haven't done anything like this since high-school. Is there anything you think I should know beforehand that may drastically differ from his knowledge-set and do you think I'm crazy for attempting it in the first place? Thank you to anyone who reads this rather lengthy post and responds to this novice in much need of help. Also, please keep the abbreviations to a minimum as my understanding of some of the jargon is a bit limited. THANK YOU.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not use Centerforce. I had one in my 2000 SS with 461HP NA and 572 on the bottle. They use a counterweight system on the pressure plate, and mine came apart after about 5,000 miles. Not worth the risk. Now I have Mcleod RST twin ($680) and its the best thing you could ask for (drives like stock but holds 800WHP). Just look around and read about the clutch you are thinking about. Go with what sounds good. Be careful...some clutch may require a slave cylinder shim (alot of Spec clutches do). Good luck!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget to put in a pilot BUSHING and slave cylinder while your at it!!! You can use a GM pilot bearing like it came with, but i've had those come apart on me, so I only use bushings now. I run a standard auto parts store slave cylinder and make over 572WHP and 618WTRQ with no problems BTW, so no need for some fancy $200 one, lol.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Teching In

It's interesting to see how people's experience with these clutches differ so greatly...I suppose I won't go with Centerforce then.

I do like how a lot of people seem to be happy with their monster clutches but it does seem a bit pricey. For my purposes, would an LS7 not be able to hold it's own just fine, both as a daily driver and for the rare strip run? Also, does this link still apply? I know the post is rather old so I didn't know if the pricing was still relevant. I suppose McLeod sits roughly between the two in pricing so I am bit intrigued with those as well. I did just look on the website though and the prices seemed to be a lot higher than $680. Any other opinions? Thanks again.

Last edited by RedIsTheOnlyColor; 10-29-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Veteran

I've been running my McLeod Single (dual compound disc) since summer of 06 when I did my built T56 and I haven't had ONE problem with it yet. Bites hard, no chatter, and has great street manners. I have three track passes on it and it will break second and chirp third on a heads and cam setup. I'm 100% satisfied. And I'm using the McLeod master, it needs it to disengage all the way. I'm also running the 2002 model year GM Slave. I agree with what was posted above. No need for a fancy slave unit.

At the time I bought mine I was hearing a lot of horror stories about the Spec clutches, so I didn't buy it and I read about disengagement issues with the Centerforce, so I dismissed that as well.

And you won't push 460rw without good heads and a good cam. You're prolly at about 350rw now.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 10-29-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Much Needed Clutch Replacement Advice for a Newbie