Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

6 speed rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 6 speed rebuild

Dropped my engine down for a stage 2 port on the heads and a few other minor issues.

In disassembly, I had to use my long 3ft 1/2 breaker bar and my huge pry bar to pull off 5/6 gear ! After that, all went smooth. Now waiting on 3rd gear.

If anyone has doubts about rebuilding a T56, it's not hard. If you have mechanical knowledge and a huge gear puller and a press is nice. I made longer arms for my puller for the 5/6 gear battle.

Read the write up on here and download the manual. If I have any doubts as to where something goes, or which way it's orientated, I have a printed version I refer to.

One drawback is parts are Expensive for the T56, but in doing it myself, I'm saving on labor and possible shipping. I'll prolly have $800 in parts.

Last edited by davidws6; 08-18-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidws6
Dropped my engine down for a stage 2 port on the heads and a few other minor issues.

In disassembly, I had to use my long 3ft 1/2 breaker bar and my huge pry bar to pull off 5/6 gear ! After that, all went smooth. Now waiting on 3rd gear.

If anyone has doubts about rebuilding a T56, it's not hard. If you have mechanical knowledge and a huge gear puller and a press is nice. I made longer arms for my puller for the 5/6 gear battle.

Read the write up on here and download the manual. If I have any doubts as to where something goes, or which way it's orientated, I have a printed version I refer to.

One drawback is parts are Expensive for the T56, but in doing it myself, I'm saving on labor and possible shipping. I'll prolly have $800 in parts.
I guess it dosn't hurt to have a lift also, huh!!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tirefire
I guess it dosn't hurt to have a lift also, huh!!
i was thinking the same!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lift

Yes, the lift is Optional, however it also takes $

With me being about a half a century in age, I don't like crawling under rides.

That being said, these $ I spent on this lift, for me are well worth it .

Just need to finish my **** then maybe onto money making things ? A lil padding in the pocket ?

Quick Reply: 6 speed rebuild