Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t-5 and a 5.3 need help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t-5 and a 5.3 need help.

I already have the 5.3 and all the blot ons. But my question is what is needed to fit a T-5 to my 5.3? I am looking at buying a t-5 conversion for my 3rd gen. Of course I would love a t56 but just cant afford 2-3k in transmission at the moment. I plan on doing some auto-cross and some track days with it. Just wondering if I will need anything special to bolt this up. any help is appreciated.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedfreak391
I already have the 5.3 and all the blot ons. But my question is what is needed to fit a T-5 to my 5.3? I am looking at buying a t-5 conversion for my 3rd gen. Of course I would love a t56 but just cant afford 2-3k in transmission at the moment. I plan on doing some auto-cross and some track days with it. Just wondering if I will need anything special to bolt this up. any help is appreciated.
Quicktime offers a bellhousing that should work for you.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

I know the stock bell housing will bolt right up. Thanks for the link to the sfi bell housing. But what I am looking for is do I need to run a special flywheel? Or can I just get a flywheel for a t-56 f-body and everything will bolt up or what. I understand that everyone on here is dealing with the T56, If the T56 was an option for me at this point I would do it in a heart beat, but I just don't have that kind of cash at this time.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

I see that everyone is saying not to use the T5, or even the world class T5. Stating that they are only good to 300lb/ft of torque. How are the mustang guys putting 5-600hp at these transmissions. Are these a different trans.? I personally know a friend of mine running mid 10's with a fox body on a standard T5. Yes, it needs syncro's ever winter but how can it hold that in a mustang but not a camaro. Does it have to do with the torque arm to the trans.?
Old 11-03-2010, 02:57 PM

The stock bellhousing will not likely bolt right up - not if you have the Camaro/Firebird bellhousing and a flywheel from a 4.8/5.3 anyway.

I have a T5 WC from a Formula Firebird. I have the T5/bellhousing under the car right now that is about 1" from being able to engage the passenger side bolts because of interference between the flywheel and the bellhousing.

My guess (and it's a guess) is that the Firebird used the smaller flywheel, and the LS motor uses the larger one.

Ah yes, clutch - and this is before I actually get a clutch in there - it may interfere as well. There is another post on that issue, but the long and short of it is the LS clutch is taller by 0.6", and the crank snout is short by 0.4" - making it more interesting than one would first think. Unless something is done, the throwout won't engage right nor will the pilot on the input shaft engage the crank right. It all is a big 'ole mess...

Quick Reply: t-5 and a 5.3 need help.