Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

POWER SHIFTING can someone explain?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default POWER SHIFTING can someone explain?

I was looking at youtube on some ls1's then came across a several vids on powershifting. I was always under the impression that power shifting was when you shift but you leave your foot on the gas pedal. Some fellas on youtube state that it is when you shift without using the clutch and keep your foot in the gas pedal and just forcing the shifter into the next gear is that even possible. Someone chime in on this topic. The following face is being picked by my kid cuz he thinks they are cool.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats pretty much it. Not good for the tranny though.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

i really didnt know you could shift without clutch. and its probably better if people dont know this lol
Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I always assumed power shifting was when you didn't lift the gas pedal. I suppose being the tranny is synchronized it's possible without using the clutch, but I definitely wouldn't do that on my car.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 AM
On The Tree

IMO... Power shifting is never letting off the gas, whether you use the clutch or not.. The only cars that I have ever seen power shifting without the clutch from the factory, was the 89-93 mustangs, besides 18 wheelers of course. I'm sure there are more cars out there but those are the only ones I've seen.. While either one is not good for your tranny, I would feel safer using the clutch..
Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 AM
8 Second Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ODur5EP0Ho

"The science of power shifting, which is the act of changing gears with a manual transmission with the engine at wide-open throttle, is a lost art in today's world of air-shifted two-speed Powerglides. Power shifting requires the hand-foot coordination of a tap-dancing juggler because the timing of the hard yank of the shift lever must be carefully synchronized with the minimal application of the clutch pedal to prevent the over-revving of the engine. During the 1960s and early 1970s, there were a number of excellent four-speed drivers on the scene, including Don Nicholson, Butch Leal, Herb McClandless, Arlen Vanke, Bill Jenkins, and many others, but none could boast that they were better than Sox. "

http://www.nhra.net/50th/top50/R_Sox15.html
Old 11-02-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

powershifting is when you never take your foot off the gas, stab the clutch and shift. i guess you could do it without the clutch but i sure wouldn't. you can put some pressure on the shifter, toward the next gear, and when you hit your shift rpm stab the clutch and shift as quickly as possible. if your good, you can do it pretty smoothly.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Powershifting is never letting off the gas and using minimal clutch (just to control the reving of motor) to change gears.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Powershifting my old 4 speed was cake. You couldn't miss a shift! -- Not sure about these T56's though, seems like there's very little room for error with that extra middle row of gears.

It's certainly intimidating to me anyway. I've read several stories about 3-4 shifts that ended up being 3-2 shifts and taking the motor out with it.

Shifting without the clutch is easy at low speeds if you know just when to ease the shifter into the next gear with RPM drops.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

this just sounds like youre killing your tranny haha
Old 11-03-2010, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the way I understood it,

WOT throttle shifting- foot to the floor blimping the clutch to get into the next gear

Power shifting- foot to the floor switching gears no clutch used.

I admit I still use the clutch and let off the gas. very quick acourse.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jim_PA
Powershifting my old 4 speed was cake. You couldn't miss a shift! -- Not sure about these T56's though, seems like there's very little room for error with that extra middle row of gears.

It's certainly intimidating to me anyway. I've read several stories about 3-4 shifts that ended up being 3-2 shifts and taking the motor out with it.

Shifting without the clutch is easy at low speeds if you know just when to ease the shifter into the next gear with RPM drops.
that is the exact reason ill be leaving the track with my car and its drivetrain in one peiece. NOT worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: POWER SHIFTING can someone explain?