Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 problem?

2900lb car with stock drivetrain from 01 camaro. I went hard from 4th to 5th and heard rev limiter... Tried 6th heard lots of noise and free revs... I wound up limping the car for another 20 miles or so, in 6th at really low rpms and virtually no load. If I loaded it at all, I would heard noise and get free revs. Finally it got so bad I couldn't even maintain 35mph so I pulled over. While driving with windows up it kinda sounded like differential, but now I'm not so sure. Got a trailer, and loaded it up. Was actually able to drive it into the trailer without issue, but when I unloaded it I had windows down, and if I loaded it, the noise would come, and with the windows down I could hear the noise up in the tranny. It doesn't sound good that's for sure. But any idea of what could have happened to where I can still move the car under minimal load? Just looking for opinions of possibilities. Thanks
Old 11-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

And it goes into any gear and moves under it's own power, in any gear, until you give too much throttle.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Your clutch is shot..
Old 11-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Even with wicked grinding noise?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Probably metal to metal contact of the pressure plate/clutch disc is what youre hearing
Old 11-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Judging by the noise, I'd say that's a longshot but ya never know. I'm gonna drain the fluid and see if there is any shrapnel...
But keep opinions coming, I'd love to hear all theories...
Old 11-06-2010, 12:34 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Your clutch is shot..
Originally Posted by LS1Pariah
But keep opinions coming, I'd love to hear all theories...
Old 11-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Look, I know it's difficult to diagnose without being here, but I don't think it's the clutch. So I would like to hear other opinions, especially regarding the tranny. But thanks for laughing.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:11 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Based on what you posted right off the bat and the fact it was Mike replying, it wasn't difficult at all.

It takes more load on the clutch to move the car in 6th than it does in 1st. This is due to the mechanical leverage advantage in the lower 1st gear.
This is why a slipping clutch will show up at first in 6th gear. And not in 1st gear.

Having the trans. out while doing the clutch gives an excellent opportunity to listen for noise in each gear or a quick case disassembly for inspection.

Have fun.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look, I know it's difficult to diagnose without being here, but I don't think it's the clutch. So I would like to hear other opinions, especially regarding the tranny.
OK, my opinion is that you're lazy.

now get under your car and pull the trans.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah to test your clutch they say to put it in 6th gear and if the rpms rise and the speed doesnt your clutch is gone.
so i would bet that your clutch needs to be replaced.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

jack up the back end and run it....listen for noise in rearend/transmission....profit?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

I plan on doing that Monday... The car is inside a shop and I don't have access to it just yet.
I suppose if the clutch completely came apart I might here the type of grinding, and vibration that happens once it starts to slip. It just seems strange that if it was that catastrophic, that it goes into any gear just fine, and operates completely normally until you load it a little harder, then crazy loud noise, and vibration, along with loss of forward motion.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

The clutch disc probably broke in several places, hence the noises.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you, and sorry for the doubts. It was indeed the clutch. However, once I got it out I could barely see any signs of carnage. One spring had some scarring, but the disc was completely in tact, and the pressure plate appeared normal as well. I knew I wasn't going to re-use the clutch even if it wasn't the tranny, so I decided to grind the rivets off the front of the disc to inspect the spline section, and when I did I saw that it had sheared the mounts that hold the splines in place. I spoke with Jason at TDP, and he gave me a great deal on a diamond clutch. Thanks for all the help, and I shouldn't have doubted you O' wise forum.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

best way to findout what is wrong is to actually look into what is causing the noise/vibes. to ask somebody what is wrng with your car by your discriptions, we call only advice to what the problum is. glad you finally found the issue... we try our best to help!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:10 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Thank you, and sorry for the doubts. It was indeed the clutch. However, once I got it out I could barely see any signs of carnage. One spring had some scarring, but the disc was completely in tact, and the pressure plate appeared normal as well. I knew I wasn't going to re-use the clutch even if it wasn't the tranny, so I decided to grind the rivets off the front of the disc to inspect the spline section, and when I did I saw that it had sheared the mounts that hold the splines in place. I spoke with Jason at TDP, and he gave me a great deal on a diamond clutch. Thanks for all the help, and I shouldn't have doubted you O' wise forum.
Glad to have helped you out! I emailed the tracking number. Thanks!

Quick Reply: T56 problem?