Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Auto to T56 swap...tranny tilts over to pass side...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to T56 swap...tranny tilts over to pass side...

I completed this swap after some headaches that then had me doing a Viper Spec rebuild. Ever since the transmission first went in when myself and some friends did it, and then after it was pulled out and reinstalled after the rebuild by a very good shop the transmission tilts over to the passenger side probably 2in more than it should. The transmission and drive line doesn't bind up. I know when I ran the numbers that the transmission is out of a '99+ fbody. Its the oddest thing, even the transmission guy was puzzled.

Anybody run into this before, or have any suggestions?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:09 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

How are your motor mounts?

What part of the transmission were you measuring against what part of the car were you measuring to get "probably 2in more than it should"?

What number did you run from the trans?

Are you using a stock type shifter stick? On which side of the shifter stub is it mounted?

Where are the pics of this 2in tilt?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
How are your motor mounts?

What part of the transmission were you measuring against what part of the car were you measuring to get "probably 2in more than it should"?

What number did you run from the trans?

Are you using a stock type shifter stick? On which side of the shifter stub is it mounted?

Where are the pics of this 2in tilt?
When you venture to put the tranny in reverse it wants to push thru the side of the 6spd console, 5th and 6th gear have the stick resting on the side of the 6spd console opening. Gauging from what I remember about my '97 Z28 factory M6 car, its about 2in off. I'm using a B&M Ripper so its just a solid stick, no stub to mount anything too. I can get pictures tomorrow if needed.

The transmission I bought off of ebay (paid $1300.00 and ended up needing a rebuild), I took all the numbers off the case and checked them via a Borg Warner/Tremec T56 part number catalog before I bought it and after it arrived. Came back as a '99+ f-body transmission with the Hurst option. The car it went into is a '98 Camaro.