Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse lockout soleniod question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse lockout soleniod question

I have a 2001 camaro and have had quite abit of work done to it lately ( afr heads, cam, kooks LT's and a custom tune).
My problem is that ever since the work was done I have a hard time getting it into reverse.
I checked all the wiring and grounds. I have power to the soleniod and the ground circuit back to the pcm is good. So it appears the pcm is not completing the circuit.
My question is..... could the tuner have accidently shut off the reverse lockout circuit?
I know he modified the skip shift because that has been disabled.
I tried posting in the tuners forum but didn't get any answers. Thanks.

BTW.... the solenoid is good.

Last edited by williambmac; 11-13-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:31 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You're on the right path if the wiring to the PCM isn't ever grounding, as verified with a test light.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by jmd
You're on the right path if the wiring to the PCM isn't ever grounding, as verified with a test light.

I have power to the soleniod.
I checked the ground wire by disconnecting the harness at the pcm (lt green connector 44) then diconnecting the plug on the soleniod. I then tied into it and used my multimeter to complete the circuit and it tells me the circuit is good. So the only thing it could be is the pcm right?
I question wether a tuner can shut of the circuit because I am not getting any codes. Technically if there is a problem with the circuit, I should get a p0803 codes correct?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check the engine sensor fuse... also check the O2 wires.... mine burnt on the header...blew the engine sensor fuse and made the reverse lock-out sol inoperable. another thing to check... pull the connector off the harness on the trans and look to see if you bent a connection prong plugging it in....did that too
Old 11-13-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by SSdreamz
check the engine sensor fuse... also check the O2 wires.... mine burnt on the header...blew the engine sensor fuse and made the reverse lock-out sol inoperable. another thing to check... pull the connector off the harness on the trans and look to see if you bent a connection prong plugging it in....did that too
Checked the fuse and it is good. I also checked the connector and pins all o.k.
I am really starting to on this one.
Everything seams to lead back to the pcm, I don't know it the pcm is bad or it was just the custom tune done to it.
The strange thing is.....I have power to the solenoid key on, I tied into the ground wire and ran straight to a good known ground, but the solenoid is still enabled. I know the soleniod is good because I removed and tested it and also installed a brand new one.
If I jump it out to ground shouldn't that disable the solenoid?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

I swapped a 6 speed in my silverado. It will click if powered. and it will also go in reverse.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:39 PM

I have power going to the solenoid, but the pcm will not complete the gound circuit. I tested the ground circuit from the pcm back to the soleniod and it is o.k. So the only thing I can assume is that there is an issue with the pcm. Possibly from the custom tune that is in the car? I tried in the tuners section but not much help there without a tuning log, which I do not have.

Quick Reply: Reverse lockout soleniod question