Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Pressure plate not adjusted correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 Pressure plate not adjusted correctly?

Ok ive got a 2004 GTO with a Southbend stage 3 clutch which uses a ls7 pressure plate and stock flywheel only difference is the clutch disk.

Ive replaced the entire hydraulic system. SS lines with remote bleeder, Tilton master (same as tick), and new slave.

I had the southbend stage 2 but it didnt have enough grip so southbend upgraded me to stage 3 which only required swapping disks. Pressure plate looked good but it was not checked or adjusted

The only problem i have is when the clutch is hot at high rpms does not want to go into gear its mostly on the 3-4 shift and pedal feels strange on the first pump but feels better after the 2nd and will go into gear nicely.

All other driving the clutch is great. Engagement is at the top of the pedal. Does this sound like most of the problems ive been researching with ls7 pp auto adjust? Also is there any other pressure plate I could use besides and ls7? I can further adjust my master setting but dont feel it would help much? Thanks guys
Old 11-13-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like air in the system or fluid has been boiled.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Ill try to bleed further and replace the fluid with some Motul RBF 600.

What are the exact symtoms of failing or incorrectly adjusted pressure plates?

Again problem is usually only after car is warmed up and a high rpm wot shift is being made all other situations car shifts like butter.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

If the pp is mal-adjusted the pedal would grab either at the floor or at the top of the clutch pedal travel.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Hmm more bleeding today and it feels better but still has basically the same symptoms but less severe. Ive got a remote bleeder with check valve in it so after about 32oz of brake fluid through system no more air appears to be coming out.

When i have time i will likely pull trans again get pressure plate checked and reset and put in a new slave (i have warranty on slave)
Old 11-24-2010, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Again problem is only when clutch is hot but i can still get it into all gears pedal just changes feel=(

Still feel the problem is in the LS7 pressure plate as it had about 25K+ miles on it when it had the stage 2 disk and was unadjusted when I only put in the Stage 3 disk. Do you think i need a new Pressure plate or just an adjustment?

Also could i use a different style Pressure Plate other than ls7? Like ACT HD one or another?

Quick Reply: LS7 Pressure plate not adjusted correctly?