Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

how to identify factory hurst shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to identify factory hurst shifter?

I have the regular OEM shifter/non hurst. I found a good deal on a supposed to be factory Hurst shifter. However, I can't tell by looking at it that its really a Hurst. Is there a certain pt# stamped on it or what? So how to I go about identifying the hurst vs non hurst?? Also if I get it can I put my factory shifter stick on it for the time being?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the sticks mount the same i believe. I dont remember there being a number on it. With the non hurst, its a stamped steel base, but the hurst has a roughly 1/4" aluminum base plate.

Heres a pic i found on here.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really don't have a big problem with the factory shifter I have, but would like an upgrade. My shift **** looks like **** and I would like shorter throws. Thing is by the time I buy the Hurst and a short stick and find a **** I will prolly wish I would've spent the extra and bought a MGW. Also I like how the MGW can have the threads where I can use their ****. Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

a stock hurst alone won't make shifts shorter really, throw on a short stick and it's a great shifter though, especially for the price

how much is the one you're looking at?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
a stock hurst alone won't make shifts shorter really, throw on a short stick and it's a great shifter though, especially for the price

how much is the one you're looking at?
NIB prolly get it for $75, but then I gotta buy a stick. It will be cheaper than going with a MGW or other short throw, but it might not be worth saving the money on. Decisions, decisions
Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ i have a short stick for sale

i had my factory hurst and almost kind of miss it. My MGW is a bad *** unit, but the the stock hurst was def amazing. The straight up and down shifts feel the same, but the 2-3 and 4-5 are def shorter with the MGW
Old 11-23-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am gonna think about what I am gonna do. I tell ya whats crazy, the price of shift *****. I like the MGW type, but I also like the black ball with white bird that ws6store has. My shift **** looks like my drivers side seat, all chewed the hell up.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Expensive, yes, but the MBA ***** are definitely nice pieces. I got mine for about $40 shipped in the classifieds here. They're threaded all the way to the very top so the **** ends up sitting a lot lower than most which are only threaded halfway through. The height of that made the shifts even shorter, which I like a lot.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
Expensive, yes, but the MBA ***** are definitely nice pieces. I got mine for about $40 shipped in the classifieds here. They're threaded all the way to the very top so the **** ends up sitting a lot lower than most which are only threaded halfway through. The height of that made the shifts even shorter, which I like a lot.
So the round ball is pretty good for shifting/DD. Its either the hurst round **** or the bird ****. Also like the MGW **** for the vette. I think a mustang cobra **** looks decent to, if I am remembering correctly.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the fidanza shifter worth buying, I guess it has OEM style threads?

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1287
Old 11-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

i ordered a B&M short throw shifter fo my car. and i absolutely love it. definately a big difference from stock. i dont think i ever missed a shift since i put it. its like clockwork. they are one of the major mods to do when you want to save time IMO. you can also get the short throw stick shortened if you think it is to tall. jus throwing that out there
Old 11-23-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man.

Another thing I wonder about is finding a gray **** since I have gray interior. Check this out-http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...products_id=73
says its black, but it looks grey. Here is one that says black and its definitely black-http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...products_id=67

03-04 cobra ***** look gray to me, but most websites say they are black. Don't know of its a typo or the pics are just deceiving. The SLP type or cobra would "flow" the best with my interior. IMO

Quick Reply: how to identify factory hurst shifter?