Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

short sticks causing sychro wear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default short sticks causing sychro wear?

Can the addition of a short stick (UMI, ws6store, or Lou's) to a stock hurst cause the synchronizers to wear out?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can someone please debunk this? I had friend to tell me this and I want to know the truth.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Synchros wear because of abuse and time. They are made to wear down over time. Just changing the stick out will not cause them to waer faster
Old 11-27-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know when I put my short stick in my trans felt much notchier and was harder to shift. I put a stock pro 5.0 on stick back in. Shifts like butter now. The short stick takes away so much of the leverage.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Synchros wear because of abuse and time. They are made to wear down over time. Just changing the stick out will not cause them to waer faster
Thank you!
Old 11-27-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding a detroit locker in the axle will wear out synchros. A clutch that doesnt fully disengage will wear synchros. speed shifting will wear out synchros. Dirty/wrong trans fluid could wear out synchros. Maybe someone can add more but thats about all I know that will screw them up faster then normal.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
Adding a detroit locker in the axle will wear out synchros.
I gotta hear this, please elaborate.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Launching!

after months of using the ws6store short stick, i switched back to stock hurst stick and the shifts felt wayyyy better with the stock ones, although the it looks way better with the short stick. But, I prefer to have a silky shift than looks, so I think I am gonna keep the stock stick on.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
I gotta hear this, please elaborate.
The locker has a lot of slack in it because of its design. I was just showing someone today how much the yoke can be turned back and forth without moving the wheels. Its about 1/6 of a revolution on the yoke. This is slack in the locker castelations and not an indicator of gear lash. Anyway, it happens by chance that during the average time it takes a person casually driving a T-56 and pushing in the clutch and shifting gears is the same time it takes the locker to go from the drive side of the castelation to the coast side of the castelation. What happens during this causes the synchros to not do their job properly and causes light grinding during shifting. I believe, as do others, that the locker going from drive to the coast side of the castelation sends a shock/sudden speed change back up the driveshaft and into the output shaft of the trans, changing the speed of the shaft that the synchro is trying to match the gear to. Consider this, with every other differential, the output shaft is at a near constant speed and the trans is basically synchronizing 1 shaft speed to enable smooth gear selection. By adding the locker, there is the potential for the output shaft to change speed suddenly. The way to avoid this from happening is to either shift fast/er, or pull into neutral and pause for a sec., allowing the locker to get to its coast side, and then clutch and shift. This is how I shift into 5th and 6th with my trans. I had 1-4 faceplated after the locker helped finish off the synchros in ALL the gears.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

No shizz, I'll be damned.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:24 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The locker has a lot of slack in it because of its design. I was just showing someone today how much the yoke can be turned back and forth without moving the wheels. Its about 1/6 of a revolution on the yoke. This is slack in the locker castelations and not an indicator of gear lash. Anyway, it happens by chance that during the average time it takes a person casually driving a T-56 and pushing in the clutch and shifting gears is the same time it takes the locker to go from the drive side of the castelation to the coast side of the castelation. What happens during this causes the synchros to not do their job properly and causes light grinding during shifting. I believe, as do others, that the locker going from drive to the coast side of the castelation sends a shock/sudden speed change back up the driveshaft and into the output shaft of the trans, changing the speed of the shaft that the synchro is trying to match the gear to. Consider this, with every other differential, the output shaft is at a near constant speed and the trans is basically synchronizing 1 shaft speed to enable smooth gear selection. By adding the locker, there is the potential for the output shaft to change speed suddenly. The way to avoid this from happening is to either shift fast/er, or pull into neutral and pause for a sec., allowing the locker to get to its coast side, and then clutch and shift. This is how I shift into 5th and 6th with my trans. I had 1-4 faceplated after the locker helped finish off the synchros in ALL the gears.
The possible rotational slack in the driveline based on the normal transitions from drive to coast position of the pinion is not going to be exceeded by virtue of use of a locker as you describe. Unless the carrier locking failed or was unloaded by normal lateral tire load to allow single tire spin, in which case it would not be a back and forth motion.

Synchros get messed up largely when they are trying to act as a friction mechanism to slow down an engine, instead of an input / disc assembly as intended. That is a result of
improper clutch release or driver error. Not use of a locker.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mean_greenZ
yea i'm debating trying the stock one again. I go back and forth. I like the short stick feel but idk. This is my first 6 speed f-body so i'm still trying to find what I like and don't like for DD purposes.
The short stick look is phenomenal, and it feels good other than when i am trying to shift.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmd
The possible rotational slack in the driveline based on the normal transitions from drive to coast position of the pinion is not going to be exceeded by virtue of use of a locker as you describe. Unless the carrier locking failed or was unloaded by normal lateral tire load to allow single tire spin, in which case it would not be a back and forth motion.

Synchros get messed up largely when they are trying to act as a friction mechanism to slow down an engine, instead of an input / disc assembly as intended. That is a result of
improper clutch release or driver error. Not use of a locker.

Plenty of folks on here have had this issue as a direct result of installing a detroit locker. When they switched to a spool, it went away.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Plenty of folks on here have had this issue as a direct result of installing a detroit locker. When they switched to a spool, it went away.
the 100% stock trans with 108k miles and the locker that has been in my car for 7 years and 50k+ miles disagrees with your assessment

in all seriousness though, if the engagement or disengagement of the locker cause a variation in driveshaft rpm to any extent to cause premature wear to the synchros the rear end would be skipping all over the road. input shaft speed between shifts varies at a minimum of what, 800-900 rpms, probably more. can you image what would happen if your driveshaft rotation varied by even an eighth of that as a result of the locker engagement or disengagement, not gonna happen. the car would be all over the road. not saying a locker doesnt add an amount of driveline shock during shifting, but not anything that will add to synchro wear a result of output shaft speed changes

Last edited by Tally TransAm; 11-29-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
the 100% stock trans with 108k miles and the locker that has been in my car for 7 years and 50k+ miles disagrees with your assessment
I guess you push 100 people off a cliff and not all of them die... Anyway, I should have stated in my original post that SOME have had issues. I can see where it looks like I implied that everyone with a locker has this problem.

Last edited by DAVESS02; 11-29-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: short sticks causing sychro wear?