Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cts v t 56

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cts v t 56

picked up a cts v t 56 and wondering what exactly is required to swap over to run a normal drive shaft and shifter set up thanks adam
Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Banned

gto main shaft, shift rail, tail housing, shift selector.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
gto main shaft, shift rail, tail housing, shift selector.
As Mike mentioned, those are the major parts needed. There's also a few little parts (VSS, offset lever, etc.) once you get into the re-assembly.

I did a full photo shot of a conversion here:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...0813-CTSv-GTO/

Once done, you'll also need to use a large/extended pilot bearing in your crank, since the CTSv input shaft is 1/2" shorter to clear the dual-mass clutch setup of the LS6.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:09 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
As Mike mentioned, those are the major parts needed. There's also a few little parts (VSS, offset lever, etc.) once you get into the re-assembly.

I did a full photo shot of a conversion here:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...0813-CTSv-GTO/

Once done, you'll also need to use a large/extended pilot bearing in your crank, since the CTSv input shaft is 1/2" shorter to clear the dual-mass clutch setup of the LS6.
That is a very nice/detailed set of pics for this conversion! You could also use a Z06 input gear if you wanted to retain the old style pilot bearing. I like the new sealed roller bearing design, though. This is a little off the subject, but awhile back, I had a 3/8" bellhousing spacer made to use this new type bearing on an LS7/TR6060 combo. The spacer went between the bell and trans, which put the input perfectly into the new pilot bearing. Also had to space out the slave 7/8in, as it was the little green short 3-bolt one.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

I know this is an old thread but I am not sure what I am missing here.
T56 tranny's are so hard to find. The ctsv stuff shows up sometimes. I want one for my chevelle. The shifter stuff I can live with.
If the big problem with the ctsv t56 is the lack of a slip yoke then why are we all going to all the trouble to change tail shafts and all. Wouldn't a Conversion plate like this

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/2004-2...nversion-plate

Paired with a spicer flange and 1350 or 1333 added to the front of the existing driveshaft do the trick for far less money? I have to cut my driveshaft anyway. please explain if this is wrong. It seems like a no brainier but maybe two u joints not sliding in and out is turning you guys off. School me please. Does travel require that much slip from the yoke?

Does this only work with a IRS setup?

Last edited by likes cars; 08-09-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by likes cars
I know this is an old thread but I am not sure what I am missing here.
T56 tranny's are so hard to find. The ctsv stuff shows up sometimes. I want one for my chevelle. The shifter stuff I can live with.
If the big problem with the ctsv t56 is the lack of a slip yoke then why are we all going to all the trouble to change tail shafts and all. Wouldn't a Conversion plate like this

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/2004-2...nversion-plate

Paired with a spicer flange and 1350 or 1333 added to the front of the existing driveshaft do the trick for far less money? I have to cut my driveshaft anyway. please explain if this is wrong. It seems like a no brainier but maybe two u joints not sliding in and out is turning you guys off. School me please. Does travel require that much slip from the yoke?

Does this only work with a IRS setup?
Even IRS requires some flex and slip. Go look at a stock GTO or 2010+ camaro driveshaft and let us know.

Go poke around on the DSS site you linked and see what options they offer for the flanged yoke style trans, and the prices..
Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

is the CTS-V trans desirable in Fbods due to the M12 gearset?

2001-2004 Z06, M12
GTO, M12 2004-2007
CTS-V M12 2004-2007

was the CTSV the first GM T56 to use a one pc. Countershaft?? was the one pc. CS used in 2004 CTSV or started in 2006 like the T56/C6Z?

Just to try and clear up the CS one piece question, was this a change in 2006 on ALL models equipped with the T56?

Regarding the CTSV pilot bearing, I learned of the different style back when GM had the Caddy LS6 motors in surplus for $3500(wish I bought a dozen); this is also the same bearing used in 2005up Corvette's

Last edited by SteveDoten@ARH; 08-09-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

The M12 might be desirable, it depends on many factors like power, weight, gears, use, etc.

The SSR M10 and C6-Z06 T56s are the only 1pc countershaft factory setups.
No CTSv or M12 T56s had 1pc countershafts.

The CTSv got and upgraded 2nd gear synchro in 2006 if that's what youre thinking about. The 3-4 synchros also got early engagement teeth during that time.

Originally Posted by connecticut
is the CTS-V trans desirable in Fbods due to the M12 gearset?

2001-2004 Z06, M12
GTO, M12 2004-2007
CTS-V M12 2004-2007

was the CTSV the first GM T56 to use a one pc. Countershaft?? was the one pc. CS used in 2004 CTSV or started in 2006 like the T56/C6Z?

Just to try and clear up the CS one piece question, was this a change in 2006 on ALL models equipped with the T56?

Regarding the CTSV pilot bearing, I learned of the different style back when GM had the Caddy LS6 motors in surplus for $3500(wish I bought a dozen); this is also the same bearing used in 2005up Corvette's
Old 08-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Launching!

I guess it depends on your intended use. I am not building a quarter mile machine, and the IRS of the C3 Corvette I’m building doesn’t require much movement. I’m going to use a CV on the front of my shaft. The shaft is going to be so short I could probably get away with a splined stub shaft and slip yoke (truck style). If I had a solid axel I would probably go with a two piece shaft like the late Mustangs & Camaros. As to the shifter, I came up with this for the 2010 Camaro TR6060 I picked up. A TKO 600 shifter modified to give me the location of an F body T56.
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/...tertopview.jpg
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/...6282012145.jpg
Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

But you're still using a slip yoke or a CV joint, not a solid
Connection like the guy suggested that reopened this thread....

Originally Posted by 74modified
I guess it depends on your intended use. I am not building a quarter mile machine, and the IRS of the C3 Corvette I’m building doesn’t require much movement. I’m going to use a CV on the front of my shaft. The shaft is going to be so short I could probably get away with a splined stub shaft and slip yoke (truck style). If I had a solid axel I would probably go with a two piece shaft like the late Mustangs & Camaros. As to the shifter, I came up with this for the 2010 Camaro TR6060 I picked up. A TKO 600 shifter modified to give me the location of an F body T56.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
But you're still using a slip yoke or a CV joint, not a solid
Connection like the guy suggested that reopened this thread....
True, but he could use the adapter to mount a slip yoke drive shaft. I'm just saying that converting over to a slip yoke main shaft is not the only way.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

I looked into a slip yoke for the diff side. It is a common part used on trucks. So what I am proposing is like this:
Ctsv t56 to conversion plate to spicer flange to 1350 to driveshaft to slip yoke end before another 1350 at the rear end. It will mechanically operate the same in theory, the slip just occurs inside the rear of the driveshaft rather than the tail of the tranny.

Why not? The cost of converting a caddy 6 speed is huge. The driveshaft work has to occur one way or another.

Last edited by likes cars; 08-13-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

The cost of converting a caddy 6 speed is huge. The driveshaft work has to occur one way or another.
That's relative and not generally true. Perhaps for your application, but not in general. Go ahead and build your suggested setup and report back .
Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Launching!

I looked into a slip yoke for the diff side. It is a common part used on trucks. So what I am proposing is like this:
Ctsv t56 to conversion plate to spicer flange to 1350 to driveshaft to slip yoke end before another 1350 at the rear end. It will mechanically operate the same in theory, the slip just occurs inside the rear of the driveshaft rather than the tail of the tranny.

Why not? The cost of converting a caddy 6 speed is huge. The driveshaft work has to occur one way or another.
The problem with a setup like that is high speed vibration. It could work for some aplications, but I think the longer the shaft, the more likely it is to have problems. A good drive shaft shop should be able help.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Way to keep on pursuing more options. Are these conversion plates out there or are you just talking a simple billet plate job?

Are you talking about a slip spline like used on the rear of the front driveshaft in a 2pc. driveline GM truck?

Your last point is good one although I place value on sticking with a stock length driveline where possible.
Originally Posted by 74modified
The problem with a setup like that is high speed vibration. It could work for some aplications, but I think the longer the shaft, the more likely it is to have problems. A good drive shaft shop should be able help.
I went to a longstanding reputable shop here a few weeks ago. His "lowrider" setup sounded like that.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmd
Way to keep on pursuing more options. Are these conversion plates out there or are you just talking a simple billet plate job?

Are you talking about a slip spline like used on the rear of the front driveshaft in a 2pc. driveline GM truck?

Your last point is good one although I place value on sticking with a stock length driveline where possible.
I went to a longstanding reputable shop here a few weeks ago. His "lowrider" setup sounded like that.
You can buy the plates with holes to bolt on a yoke, or even buy a one piece one made to mount a 1350 u joint.
Yes the splined stub shaft with a slip yoke drive shaft (four wheel drive style)

As more of these transmisions enter the supply chain people will find a way.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Did anything ever happen with this? CTS-v t56s seem to be pretty cheap when pop up for sale and if this solution works I think I could live with the shifter location (I think).

Quick Reply: cts v t 56