Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need opinions quick lt1 t56!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions quick lt1 t56!

Hey guys, ive been looking for a T56 to put in my 70 duster with a 408 small block chrysler, making about 450 rwtq. I know its not an LS or even a GM but this swap requires a GM t56, and this seems to be the place for that stuff too....

QuickTime has the scatter shields for both the LS and LT-1 style gear boxes, both need 130 tooth flywheel and a 10.5" or smaller clutch. Thats not the issue though...

Its not official yet, but if everything goes through i may have the oppurtunity to purchase a working LT-1 T56 for $500

If i were to go this route, the QuickTime scatter shield has provisions to place the stock fork and slave cyl onto it BUT do i need a "pull" type clutch? (if i do its physically impossible, since i cant find a "pull" style clutch thats less that 10.5" dia.)
Or i heard i can get a Mcleod 1400-22 hyd. t.o.b and run a normal clutch, do you know if this is true? (app $400 plus $100 for new disc, i can re-use diaphragm)

Potential parts total: ~$500

OR..

i could drop that deal and wait for an LS T56 (how much is a decent one; over $500 rite?) and..
get a factory t.o.b ($150ish?) and a new clutch disc to accept the 26 spline input ($100)

Potential parts total: ~$250-if i can get a cheap trans.

So finally, the big question: knowing my issue above, would you do it, is one "better" or the better deal in the long run? Whats possible?
Thanks for all the advise!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Quicktime + a 10.5 Chrysler clutch sounds like a good option.

Of note, the LT1 T56 & bellhousing can operate a mechanical fork and the 10.5" 83-92 F-body V8 clutch if a ballstud location is fabricated. So you don't need a pull clutch. That just happens to be how 93-97 units were set up originally.

Measure 4 times when it comes to a flywheel / clutch / TO brg setup like the 1400-22. Let me just say I was misadvised on a McLeod hyd. TO brg before ordering it.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you jmd! one other question though so i can get what your saying straight...your basically saying the stock LT setup can be rearranged so that it can operate a conventional style clutch. if this is true I believe i can re-use the diaphragm that i have now and just put in a mustang clutch disc:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTF-388144/

Im not a fan of the Mcleod hyd t.o.b, thats my current setup, and yes, it took two times to get the measurement right on it, so id like to use the LT style setup with a conventional clutch if possible, plus its a lot cheaper. Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: now im all types of confused. i called the tech line at Quicktime, they told me RM-8074 MOPAR Small Block 318/360 to Dodge T56 Viper or LS T56 with Height = 6.697" was ONLY for a viper T56 and that it was a typo that it says "or LS".

The other bellhousing: RM-6076 MOPAR (318/360) to T56 Transmission Height = 5.93" he said is for the LS style, and that it will not work for an LT. Which confuses me because RM-6076 also says it comes with a Fork bracket, which wouldnt be necessary for an LS T56 i would think. Does that seem correct to you based on the heights; do you think that an LT will not work of RM-6076?

I wouldnt be pessemistic, but the tech didnt think the T56 came with different length input shafts and tried to tell me i was wrong until i told him i was sure there was a differance..thanks

Last edited by all-AM-muscle; 11-30-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:36 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by all-AM-muscle
Thank you jmd! one other question though so i can get what your saying straight...your basically saying the stock LT setup can be rearranged so that it can operate a conventional style clutch.
Send me a PM and I'll go into more detail on mine.
if this is true I believe i can re-use the diaphragm that i have now and just put in a mustang clutch disc:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTF-388144/
In theory yes. Best option on that might be to grab a new PP & disc from the parts store for mockup then take the stuff back ASAP. You never know on things like disc hub clearance issues on custom stuff until it's done.

That link says 11" but I don't know the 4.6L clutches for Fords. I bet if you dig around, you'll find a Ford 10.5" disc setup for 26 spline or you can get the hub changed out for a 26 spline one by the right place.

EDIT: now im all types of confused. i called the tech line at Quicktime, they told me RM-8074 MOPAR Small Block 318/360 to Dodge T56 Viper or LS T56 with Height = 6.697" was ONLY for a viper T56 and that it was a typo that it says "or LS".
Take a look at pics of the front adapter plate of the case of the LS and Dodge T56s. I think the slave cyl. bolt pattern is clocked 90deg. but the bellhousing pattern and hyd. line holes are the same.

The other bellhousing: RM-6076 MOPAR (318/360) to T56 Transmission Height = 5.93" he said is for the LS style, and that it will not work for an LT. Which confuses me because RM-6076 also says it comes with a Fork bracket, which wouldnt be necessary for an LS T56 i would think. Does that seem correct to you based on the heights; do you think that an LT will not work of RM-6076?
The LT bellhousing bolt pattern has 2 of 8 bolts located differently.

I wouldnt be pessemistic, but the tech didnt think the T56 came with different length input shafts and tried to tell me i was wrong until i told him i was sure there was a differance..thanks
Happy researching.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the help jmd. I called summit and they knew more about QuickTimes bellhousings then Quicktime did-which isnt too hard to do apparently..

The summit rep stated that the RM-8074 is only for the viper trans to small block mopar. The RM-6076 is only for the LS style to sbm, not the LT. So unless i want to spend an extra few hunderd dollars converting the LT to an LS i should keep looking for a differant trans...

The decision gets tougher now..ill probably just wait for an LS to come up, i want to put a stage II rebuild in it, but the extra $ and hassel of converting LT to LS isnt seeming worth it
Old 11-30-2010, 10:45 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

I would just go ahead and pick up that LT1 T56 for $500. Its a good deal. It can easily be converted into an LS1 tranny if needed. The internals 1994-2002 are all basically the same. You just have the change the input shaft and front bearing retainer to make it an LS1 tranny.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Ive been thinking about it a bit more, and although the LT to LS swap doesnt seem that hard, its just two more loose parts im going to have to hunt down, that im assuming will be around $300-$400. By the time i do that i couldve just bought a runnins LS tranny anyways..

Ive got more time than money, and ive seen a couple LT-1 t56's go with everything flywheel to shifter for under $900 on craigslist, at least now i know i need either a viper or LS T56..maybe i can find a broken one for cheap and go straight ahead and put a stage II kit in. Guess ill be hitting the classifieds hard again for a while...
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

A buddy of mine just found a deal on a Viper T56 for 600 bucks. I was thinking of buying it, but I already have 6 T56s and don't really need it that bad. So, if you'd like, I can hunt down the contact info for the guy selling the tranny. Let me know.

Quick Reply: Need opinions quick lt1 t56!