Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Flywheel, LS vs Gen II Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel, LS vs Gen II Question

I have been searching the internet for a definitive answer to this question. I'm sure the information is on this site somewhere but I can't seam to find it.

I want to adapt a LR4 4.8L to a Boxster 5 speed Transaxle. I have a custom flywheel to adapt a Gen II SBC using a 240mm clutch.

Will the flywheel adapt to an LS style crank if I re-drill the bolt holes. I have read but can't confirm that the flywheel would be positioned approx. .4" closer to the back of the block. I have access to a mill and lathe so modifications can be done. I just don't have immediate access to a LS crank to verify any of this.

My bellhousing will only accept a flywheel 11.5" in diameter to the outside of the ring gear. I don't believe there is a stock LS flywheel that small.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:02 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_J
I have been searching the internet for a definitive answer to this question. I'm sure the information is on this site somewhere but I can't seam to find it.

I want to adapt a LR4 4.8L to a Boxster 5 speed Transaxle. I have a custom flywheel to adapt a Gen II SBC using a 240mm clutch.

Will the flywheel adapt to an LS style crank if I re-drill the bolt holes. I have read but can't confirm that the flywheel would be positioned approx. .4" closer to the back of the block. I have access to a mill and lathe so modifications can be done. I just don't have immediate access to a LS crank to verify any of this.

My bellhousing will only accept a flywheel 11.5" in diameter to the outside of the ring gear. I don't believe there is a stock LS flywheel that small.

There is only one size of LSx flywheels, and it is around 13.5-14in off the top of my head. So it will not work, unless you heavily modify your bellhousing. I'm sure you could add .4in to your flywheel and drill new holes. This is such a unique project, that youre probably going to pick up an LS1 crank, take measurements, and go from there. I've seen used crankshafts go for about 75 bucks.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:27 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_J

A shop could redrill to the LS pattern yes.

Rebalancing will then be necessary.

The crank depth can be taken up by longer bolts and a spacer....
The earlier LS trucks in the late 90s either had a .4" forward crank or used a spacer when they were bolted up to the 4L80-E (which had tq. converters that fit the Gen I/II/BBC crank depth.)

If your starter bolts to your transaxle, that should take care of it.

I suspect ordering a new flywheel might be a whole lot less fuss and safer than a re-drill.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

I believe that its not only the matter of the bolt pattern, but also the diameter of the crank register.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Flywheel, LS vs Gen II Question