Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bolt in T56 Magnum for LS1 F-body and GTO!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bolt in T56 Magnum for LS1 F-body and GTO!

We've been working like crazy in the shop lately with all kinds of new products and ideas to add to our line of transmission rebuild packages. Right now I'd like to introduce our latest and strongest street t56.

Built from a brand new T56 magnum, this transmission will become our level 4 offering. No used parts will find there way into these transmissions, it is all brand new from front to rear. Once we receive the new transmission we completely tear it down in order to make various modifications in order for it to accept a 4th gen f-body/GTO style tailhousing. This will allow the use of the current shifter, transmission mount/crossmember, and torque arm mount if desired for a completely bolt in installation for 98-02 f-bodies and 04-06 GTO's.

All of our level 4 transmissions will come standard with bronze fork pads for all shift forks. The 6060 uses large pads on all forks, which replaces the tiny pads used in the old t56 on the 5/6 and reverse forks. Theres no need for a steel 3/4 shift fork due to the increase in size when compared to the standard t56.

There are tons of improvements with the T56 magnum when compared to the old T56, and Tremecs factory torque ratings show it. Rated at 700 lb-ft of torque when compared to 450 lb-ft for the T56, its obvious Tremec did there homework on these transmissions. These numbers are factory ratings, and both are greatly under rated.

The following is a few pictures of some of the internals of the magnum vs. the T56 to show the obvious size differences of the components. The magnum has an over .100" thickness advantage when comparing the input shafts. The input shaft bearing is a huge .600" larger in diameter. To compare the thickness of the gears teeth, 4th gear is almost .200" thicker. This carries on thru out the transmission with all gears. The output shaft has been upgraded to a 31 spline unit, which is 4 splines larger than a standard t56 and 1 spline larger than even the viper shaft that we use in our level 3 builds.

Also, the magnum uses a one piece cluster gear compared to the weaker two piece gear used in the f-body and GTO transmissions. The sycro assemblies are greatly improved not only by larger diameters which allows for more engagement teeth but also by design of the "keys". There is no need for billet keys with the magnum due to the design...the keys no longer register with the blockers, which should eliminate any possible failure of the keys themselves.

Heres the pics, which I feel speaks for themselves:

This shows the diameter difference of the input shaft

This pic compares the thickness of the gears and the one piece vs. two piece clutster gear.

These three components make up the blocker ring assembly for 4th gear when compared to the 4th gear blocker used in an f-body tranny.

The 5th gear forks side by side

These photos highlight just a few of the many advantages of the T56 magnum transmission in comparison to the old T56. A better shift fork design for the 1/2 and 3/4 forks, better retaining ring design, and an improved method to attatch the speedo reluctor for even farther increased output shaft strength are a few other improvements.

Pricing for these transmissions will start at $4495 shipped. Gear ratios offered include 2.66 and 2.97 first gears. This tranny is built to fill the need for a strong 6 speed for those guys making between 700-1000 rwtq. We also offer Cryo treatment and REM polishing to these transmissions for additional money.

We do have one transmission in stock, already assembled and ready for sale. We can also accept your current T56 as a 'core' to offset the cost of the new Magnum!

-Jonathan
Old 12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the $4,495 shipped outright or with a core charge?
Old 12-01-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any option for faceplating?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by LS123
Is the $4,495 shipped outright or with a core charge?
That is shipped outright. If the customer has a rebuildable t56 core they would like to send in we will pay $500 for the core plus the shipping cost to get it to us. In other words, with a good core the transmission would cost $3995. We can always use good t56 cores for our level 1, 2, and 3 rebuilds.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
Any option for faceplating?
I don't believe there is any option for faceplating currently. We use liberty for our faceplated gear sets in our t56 builds. We've found that turnaround time can be pretty long on the faceplating process, so we try to keep a set of faceplated gears in stock. For anyone looking to get a faceplated transmission built quick we can exchange our gear set for the gear set in the customer supplied transmission.

We do have a set of t56 faceplated gears in stock currently for an LS1 f-body if that is something you are interested in.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
I don't believe there is any option for faceplating currently. We use liberty for our faceplated gear sets in our t56 builds. We've found that turnaround time can be pretty long on the faceplating process, so we try to keep a set of faceplated gears in stock. For anyone looking to get a faceplated transmission built quick we can exchange our gear set for the gear set in the customer supplied transmission.

We do have a set of t56 faceplated gears in stock currently for an LS1 f-body if that is something you are interested in.
I actually already have a faceplated LS1 F-body T56. I was just thinking about the future. This 2.66 low gear isn't the greatest for drag racing, but the overdrives are great on the street! If I could have both the 2.97 and 2 overdrives, that would be awesome. Gotta be faceplated for me though.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A GTO transmission has a 2.97 first gear ratio. Although we have did several faceplated f-body transmissions, I have never did a GTO/vette style transmission although I have read about others doing it. Liberty's is about the only place I've even heard about that do the faceplate process on the gears. If they can faceplate the GTO gearset we could build you one of those to achieve the ratio you're looking for.

We have a GTO core in stock also.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
A GTO transmission has a 2.97 first gear ratio. Although we have did several faceplated f-body transmissions, I have never did a GTO/vette style transmission although I have read about others doing it. Liberty's is about the only place I've even heard about that do the faceplate process on the gears. If they can faceplate the GTO gearset we could build you one of those to achieve the ratio you're looking for.

We have a GTO core in stock also.
Hmm interesting....I'll contact you when/if I'm ready for that. Thanks John!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Would the 2.66 first gear be optimal for a turbo car....I'm looking for the lower gears to be longer so I can load the turbos longer out of the hole...
Old 05-03-2011, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

oh yeah almost forgot

SPONSOR ME!

Quick Reply: Bolt in T56 Magnum for LS1 F-body and GTO!