Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

6 speed trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6 speed trans problem

its a 99 camaro ss 6 speed trans feels really strong 1 and second sometimes grinds if im driving and i try to put it in first it will grind some times not all the time if i push the clutch in really fast and the car is not moving the trans makes a loud noise like the clutch is not ketching is it because the clutch is bad? the car has 96000 miles on it
Old 12-28-2010, 11:11 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the grinding is isolated to one or two gears (i.e. going into 2nd) but is fine in other gears, then its probably an internal transmission problem. Could be a worn synchro assembly or worn engagement teeth on the speed gear. Either way, you'll most likely need a rebuild and probably a clutch while you're at it. My shop offers package combo deals on T56 builds/clutch kits. T56 rebuilds start at $680 for the Stage 2 and can go up from there depending on what is wrong. The most popular clutch kit is the Diamond Stage 2 ($409 for the basic kit, good for 600hp/tq). If you get both a rebuild and a clutch, we take $75-110 off depending on how much the total comes out to be. Check my sig for the 2 websites.

Quick Reply: 6 speed trans problem