Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 kicks out of 3rd when down shifted

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 kicks out of 3rd when down shifted

on my 2000 TA when down shifting to third when slowing down, it kicks out of gear. it has the stock shifter on it and it was rebuilt in august when the dealership had it. It up-shifts just fine, but im taking it to the rebuild shop to let them look at it.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they did not put in a new 3/4 fork, thats the prob. If they did not upgrade to an iron 3/4 fork ( orig is aluminum), thats another prob waiting to happen.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

They probably didn't replace the 3-4 synchro assembly or the fork during the rebuild. If they just installed new rings, but re-used a worn synchro asm, it will break the keys and keep it from locking into gear. The dealership is not a good place for a rebuild. I used to work at one and I could fill a book with all the BS that goes on.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Teching In

the dealership had this farmed out to a local tranny shop. i dropped it off last night and was down shifting into 3rd and never had a problem but i also had all the console and boot was off as well so im wondering if the boot was causing my problem
Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by zerofx150
the dealership had this farmed out to a local tranny shop. i dropped it off last night and was down shifting into 3rd and never had a problem but i also had all the console and boot was off as well so im wondering if the boot was causing my problem
Boot and console has nothing to do with it. Hopefully they will take care of it.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's new info. Boot and console can , in fact, have something to do with it.If your mount was allowing too much trans roll due to wear, the stick could contact the console and push the trans out of gear.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Teching In

well heres the update they've test drove it twice and no kick out. I gues im gonna cut the boot and put it back together and see whats up, and look at the tranny mount as well
Old 01-04-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

On an AFTERMARKET shifter, if a stop is adjusted too tight, it can kick out of gear...so if the boot is maybe being pinched inside the stock shifter, acting like a shifter stop...I could see that happening too.

I'm guessing it was exhibiting itself as like...while slowing down, stuff the clutch in, put the shifter in third...take your hand off the shifter...then well before you've stopped, you were letting the clutch back out and hitting the gas only to have the shifter go boom and wind up in neutral right?

If it were me, I'd unbolt the shifter (only 4 bolts, not a big deal) remove it, make sure the mounting surface for it is nice and clean, make sure it moves around smoothly on it's own, seperate from the tranny (hold the base still and make sure you can move it side to side and front to back without any strange bumps or binding or grinding/rubbing), then put it back on (I don't remember if the stock shifter has a gasket or requires silicone...either way, make sure it's sealed), make SURE it's located properly before tightening the bolts down, and drive without a boot or console or anything for a few days...once you're confident it's all set...put the boot and console back together

It's going to be LOUD in the car without the boot or console...but it's a good way to isolate a problem.

Hope your trans is ok man.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by calhoon
That's new info. Boot and console can , in fact, have something to do with it.If your mount was allowing too much trans roll due to wear, the stick could contact the console and push the trans out of gear.
Boot and console can not pop it out of gear assuming they are both properly installed. If the shifter is indeed hitting the console, the root problem is clearly something else like the mount you already said.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Boot and console can not pop it out of gear assuming they are both properly installed. If the shifter is indeed hitting the console, the root problem is clearly something else like the mount you already said.
Perfection is something only found in a lab. The boot and console could very well be improperly installed and result in weird shifter problems.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Thats the whole point...everything was just apart and reinstalled in his car...therefore, who's to say a piece of it isn't installed wrong? Especially since he said the problem seems to be gone once there's no console/boot in there.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Teching In

i cut the rubber boot and reinstalled everything and there is diffentally some resistance in the shifter with it all reinstalled versus ininstalled but the problem has not occured yet

Quick Reply: T56 kicks out of 3rd when down shifted